1988 Bayliner OMC COBRA 5.0 ENGINE PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waynem

Cadet
Hello to anyone that can help, I'm a first time boat owner, I bought a 1988 bayliner cuddy capri, with a 1988 omc 5.0 cobra sterndrive motor in it, I drove it before I bought it and it drove very well. I reupholstered the seats because of weather damage and had it looking new. While running the motor one day in the yard with the hose connected to the outdrive for about 25 minutes, I shifted it in gear to test and it shifted fine, I turned off the boat to clean up from doing more cosmetic work, I decided to start it one more time before I went in for the night and it just made a clicking noise, but it wouldn't crank. I've changed the starter and the assist solenoid and it still just makes a clicking noise, a friend turned the engine from the front to see if the engine was seized and it turned. Everything else works, it's a GM motor. Can anyone help, and what are my options, if the engine is dead, what would it cost to replace, rebuild, repair???? Thanks in advance.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

sounds more like a bad battery cable connection. start by cleaning all your connections.

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Test Battery..might just be a weak battery.
If the battery is good but drained could be a bad alternator that is not charging your battery.

Charge the the battery IF weak and start er up..
If it runs -- disconnect the battery for a brief moment and see if the engine is still running... if so, alternator should be good...
If engine dies bad alternator..

Could also be bad connection like Scott mentioned.. Clean all the battery connections.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If it runs -- disconnect the battery for a brief moment and see if the engine is still running... if so, alternator should be good...
If engine dies bad alternator..
NEVER do this. Will blow out the regulator in the alternator.

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class
NEVER do this. Will blow out the regulator in the alternator.

Even for a short sec?

Might not be by the book but it's work in the past for me..
Did'nt know it would cause any harm..

Good to know..

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Are you sure your battery isn't on it's way out? It's either that or bad connections as others have stated. Sometimes connections look good, but underneath they are not. Disconnect each battery cable one by one and clean them up with sandpaper and or wire brush. Check condition of the cables for melted insulation.
Maybe you can give it a jump from your car to see if it starts. Or swap the battery from your car to see if it starts.

Last edited:

Waynem

Cadet
Ive had a battery charger connected with it in the quick start mode, the starter is making the clicking noise, but it's not cranking.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Bad positive wire feeding starter?
Bad negative wire between battery and engine block?
Is there a starter solenoid in that system? If so, they can produce the same symptoms when they go bad. Especially if they have not been used for a while. I just replaced the one on my lawn tractor.

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not even for a short second. The output of the alternator is now unloaded and the voltage can increase to a very high voltage.

I hear Ya.
Not trying to argue or anything. But wouldn't that kinda be the same if Ya had a dead battery and jump it for the engine to start?
Or is a dead battery taking in enough juice to prevent regulator from blowing out?

Waynem

Cadet
I would like to thank you all for your help, I cleaned the battery post, it still wouldn't crank, but this time after I hooked up the battery charger the engine cranked, now it cranks, but seems like there is a bad connection, because as it's cranking, it dies, it cranks and dies. I'm thinking of changing the battery to starter cable and the ground battery to engine cable. I'm totally relieved that nothing is seized up. Thank you all so much!!! Would changing both cables solve this new discovery

Waynem

Cadet
I hear Ya.
Not trying to argue or anything. But wouldn't that kinda be the same if Ya had a dead battery and jump it for the engine to start?
Or is a dead battery taking in enough juice to prevent regulator from blowing out?

No I understand, thank you for your response!!!, I was just saying what I did with no results.

Waynem

Cadet
Bad positive wire feeding starter?
Bad negative wire between battery and engine block?
Is there a starter solenoid in that system? If so, they can produce the same symptoms when they go bad. Especially if they have not been used for a while. I just replaced the one on my lawn tractor.

Thank you, I'm going to change both cables, I got it to crank, but now when it cranks, it dies off, it cranks and dies off, I will replace both cables, do you think this will solve my new discovery?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I hear Ya.
A battery puts a load on the alternator and prevents it from outputting too high a voltage.

Larson220

Seaman Apprentice
I have the same engine in my boat, I went to the same issue. I changed the battery wires and that solved the issue with the engine not cranking. Is this engine fuel injected? Or carburetor?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have the same engine in my boat, I went to the same issue. I changed the battery wires and that solved the issue with the engine not cranking. Is this engine fuel injected? Or carburetor?
It's a 1988. No EFI in that year. In fact, no EFI for many years after.

Waynem

Cadet

Carburetor, thank you, sounds like what's exactly happening to mine.

Waynem

Cadet

I purchased this boat for 1,500, I reupholstered the seats, got it looking new, to know that nothing is seized up is a total relief. Is there anything else I should be aware of with this boat. How about the blue sea charging system, is it a good system yo use for using a two battery system. Thank you in advance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.