replacement bell crank for cobra

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm changing legs on my 4.3 cobra and I'm purchasing the shift adjustment tools today. Firstly which is the best tool out there? I see a couple versions. Any of them better than the others?

My main question though: Is it possible to buy a new bell crank? Mine has worn down flat a little and I imagine that would make it have less throw than it should. Anyone know where I can purchase if so?

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought the midnightwolf tools. Hopefully they show up quicker than 3weeks... Any idea about the bell crank?

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fack they want $100usd for the bellcrank. What a rip!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Not sure what year your Cobra is but there is an upgraded bellcrank and bearing end cap that allows you to grease the entire bellcrank cavity with a grease gun after you reinstall the drive. If you don't have that now, you should definitely get that type.

You can get brand new bellcranks for less than $100. Do a search for 0915796. The endcap I mentioned is 987552

I would replace the bushing opposite the endcap while you are at it. [h=1][/h]

Last edited:

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the response Bruce! I have two different types. I bought a used leg I'm going to try out and it came with a pivot housing with a greasable one. Both bell cranks have worn flat spots though. Since this shifting system is so finicky I was thinking it would be a good idea to change. Am I on the right track?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes, I would change if they do indeed have flat spots.The part number I gave likely has to be used with the greasable end cap. Keep in mind that a console shifter that is worn and sloppy will also give you similar issues.

Last edited:

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
10-4 about the console shifter. I think it's the original shift cable from the console shifter to the motor. Not sure how to tell that. Maybe I should look to replace that as well. Re the bellcrank. I looked at the spare pivot housing I got with the leg I bought and it's the greable type but looks like it was never greased. No wonder its so stiff. Unfortunately it has flat spots like mine. Am I able to reuse the greasable fitting with a new bellcrank? Also how do you remove the bellcrank?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Been a long time but I believe when I removed mine, I drilled out the end cap. You may have to do the same and buy a new end cap. Look in the service manual to be sure.

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Bruce any idea how I can figure out what console shifter cable I need with out being at the boat? Or do i have to pull it and get a part number?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There should be a number on either end that shows the length. If it's an OMC console shifter, you will need to get the OMC ends on the console side.

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Damn I'm not near the boat for a few weeks. I guess if the new leg doesn't sort out the issues I'll replace that next