OMC Questions new to boating

Svshaw82

Seaman
Hey everyone. New member, new to boating. My wife and I just purchased a new to us boat, and I have a few questions.

First off, we think it's a 1986 Cris Craft. We know the motor is a 4.3 V6, and it has a cobra outdrive. I was under the boat tonight measuring the drain hole (since PO lost the plug) and I noticed a part that's rotted away. I'm having trouble identifing it. I will post a picture of the model number, I'm having trouble looking up the code. Can't seem to find it anywhere online, including searching here. Can anyone help me figure out the part?

I'm also attaching an exploded diagram I found online that looks close. It's part number 11 in the pic. Thanks in advance for any help guys!

Svshaw82

Seaman
Looks like my phone won't let me post pics, but model number is 983842, serial is T0436511. The rotted part is a large hose looking thing, almost at the very bottom of the outdrive. I can see inside, and it's hollow, nothing inside. I will try to upload pics from my computer tomorrow.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have to have more than a few posts to be able to upload pics

your garboard plug should be 1/2" NPT

Svshaw82

Seaman
you have to have more than a few posts to be able to upload pics

your garboard plug should be 1/2" NPT

It's not the plug that I'm talking about. It's some kind of flexible hose that's about 3 inches in diameter, it's coming from the inside of the boat to the outdrive. Looks like it should flex with the outdrive on the tilt and steering, but it's so rotted away it's open when the drive is moved.

Svshaw82

Seaman
No Title

Here we go, Its number 11 on this exploded view

Attachments

• photo244686.jpg
    photo244686.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0

Svshaw82

Seaman
No Title

Here is a pic of the Model number and Serial number plate.

Attachments

• photo244692.jpg
    photo244692.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Staff member
You are referring to the bellows. they are an annual inspection and replace every 2-3 year sort of thing (along with the raw water impeller) I would take care of that before you even think of putting the boat in the water.

your original post was about your plug

Svshaw82

Seaman
You are referring to the bellows. they are an annual inspection and replace every 2-3 year sort of thing (along with the raw water impeller) I would take care of that before you even think of putting the boat in the water.

your original post was about your plug

My original post...
" I was under the boat tonight measuring the drain hole (since PO lost the plug) and I noticed a part that's rotted away. I'm having trouble identifing it."

Sorry if I worded that wrong, as in I know where to find a drain plug, but since my head was right next to the pivot mount and transom bracket, I saw rubber hose looking things rotted away.

Are they hard to replace? Do you know where I can find replacement parts? Still not sure about the model number, cant locate any data on it.

Thanks for the help

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you have to pull the drive to replace the bellows

you have to separate the lower from upper to get to the raw water pump

directions in the stickies

Svshaw82

Seaman
you have to pull the drive to replace the bellows

you have to separate the lower from upper to get to the raw water pump

directions in the stickies

I dont see any stickies related to this stuff. I did find a youtube video on how to swap the raw water pump. Looks pretty simple. Changing the bellows looks a little more difficult. Good thing I own an engine lift, I can use that to help support the weight of the outdrive. Is there anything I should be concerned about when doing the removal? It should just be a remove and replace right?

Sorry for all the questions, Im a skilled hobby mechanic for autos, boats and outdrives are a new thing to me. Shouldnt be too hard to figure out, but I like to ask alot of questions before I just jump in. Thanks again!

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you are in fact talking about #11 in the pic then that's the exhaust bellows. It has holes in it to allow draining when it's out of the water and the outdrive is tilted up. Should replace it anyways. If the u-joint bellows is toast then you'd be sinking lol. I'll be doing mine shortly along with replacing my outdrive and doing the shift cable adjustment (with the OMC tools this time)

Svshaw82

Seaman
If you are in fact talking about #11 in the pic then that's the exhaust bellows. It has holes in it to allow draining when it's out of the water and the outdrive is tilted up. Should replace it anyways. If the u-joint bellows is toast then you'd be sinking lol. I'll be doing mine shortly along with replacing my outdrive and doing the shift cable adjustment (with the OMC tools this time)

If I pull the outdrive off to replace the bellows, will I need that tool you just mentioned when I reinstall?

Svshaw82

Seaman

Yes I was talking about number 11. I have confirmed its the exhaust bellows. Looking them up and reading I see it needs to be mounted a certain direction for draining. It is so rotted away I can almost stick my hand inside. I would assume the ujoint bellow could be just as bad.

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I pull the outdrive off to replace the bellows, will I need that tool you just mentioned when I reinstall?

The tools I'm referring to are for the shift cable adjustments. If it shifts good already maybe leave it alone for now. I not I'd replace the cable and use the tools. I did the job with crude copies of the tools I fabricated and it got the job done for a season but the previous owner used it too much out of adjustment and I fear the clutch dogs are rounded off causing it to pop in and out of gear in reverse. I've found a leg that seems to be in much better condition than mine and I'll be doing the job as soon as I get the tools. Can't get them quickly in Canada. I'll be replacing the bellows at the same time. I'll also be replacing my blower and bilge pump at the same time so I have a bit of work do. Lake holidays are in July so I better order those tools today! Good luck with the boat

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Since it is the exhaust bellows, they can be completely torn apart and your boat won't sink. Just make sure your u-joint bellows are good. The u-joint bellows need to be replaced every 5 years or so. Store your drive down to make the bellows last longer.

Svshaw82

Seaman
Since it is the exhaust bellows, they can be completely torn apart and your boat won't sink. Just make sure your u-joint bellows are good. The u-joint bellows need to be replaced every 5 years or so. Store your drive down to make the bellows last longer.

Thanks all for the advice. I have the outdrive off now, both bellows were rotted. Ujoints seem to be in good shape, but the gimbal bearing wad bad. And the seal was a PITA to remove. Should have it all back together soon. Im looking forward to cleaning this boat up nicely, and I will be using these forums for many references I'm sure. One last question about the gimbal bearing, I the old one was installed backwards, the notches face the motor side right? The one I removed had the notches facing the outboard.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Doesn't matter which way the notches face.

I never replace that seal behind the gimbal bearing. It doesn't do a whole heck of a lot.