omc 3.8 800 series

seang

Cadet
Hi
I have my outdrive off the boat to replace the shift cable and water pump ........but I want to start the motor and make sure it is ok before I dump any more money into this .
I made 2 manifolds to bolt on to the intermediate housing sides where the water enters from the outdrive water pump anyone see a problem with me running the motor like this off the garden water hose ?
Just want to make sure everything is ok in the motor as it wasnt running when I got it and when I took the water pump out it was cracked .......thinking because the previous owner left the outdrive in the up position when he stored it for the winter.
Thanks
Sean

Bondo

Staff member
Just want to make sure everything is ok in the motor as it wasnt running when I got it

Ayuh,..... To bench test a motor like that, I hook the garden hose to the in-comin' raw water line nipple on the t-stat housin',.....

seang

Cadet
seems to be working the water is flowing through I opened the engine block drain plugs to make sure and when I fired it up water was coming out of the exh port and also squirting over where the ball drives would be .....what sort of temperature should I be seeing ran it for 20 minutes at idle it gradually got up to 180f and I shut it down
I dont see any water or anything on the dipstick and its idling nice just concerned it seems a little hot at 180 on garden hose water

seang

Cadet
I took the thermostat out put it in a pot on the stove it didnt open until it was 180f and its a 160 f thermostat ....so hopefully thats the problem checked the oil no signs of water on the dip stick

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
good idea to change it.
garden hose on full blast and feed the water straight to the tstat housing nipple like Bondo said.