Oil Temp & Water Temp gauges read nothing when running!!

Dgavin9

Cadet
I have a 1988 Bayliner Capri with I/O 5.0L 305 OMC out drive. This is my first ever boat and I have spent a lot of time rebuilding this boat. Out of all the problems I had, I only have a few left. This includes the oil temp and water temp gauges not working. They read nothing when the boat is running. I have no idea as to what the problem is as I'm new to boats and motors. I have been told it could be a bad gauge, bad sensor/sender, bad oil pump. I have no idea where to start to diagnose these issues. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Power and ground to the gauge is where I would start. Do they flutter or budge at all when ignition turned on or motor started?

Dgavin9

Cadet
I used a 12v tester. Used the ground on the gauges and the both have 12v. Any other suggestions?

Bondo

Staff member
I used a 12v tester. Used the ground on the gauges and the both have 12v. Any other suggestions?

Ayuh,..... If you ground out the sender wire terminal, the gauges should Peg, Full/ High, whatever,....

Dgavin9

Cadet
Ahhhh I didn't know that. Shich means the gauge itself is bad? I ordered new guages from eBay a couple days ago. Just to test them and hope they work

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Might check the umbilical plug and make sure its seated correctly in its receptacle. Im talking about a large 1 and 1/2 inch plug with several pins in it that connects to the engine. Wiggle that and see if your gauges move.