2.3 with omc outdrive. Need help with removal

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey everyone. I am in the process of pulling out a 2.3 engine from a 16' bayliner capri. The outdrive is out, I unhooked all the wires and hoses from the engine. Also the throttle controls. Is there only the 4 motor mount bolts that need to come off then I can lift it out? This motor is missing a few parts and the outdrive was removed before I got the boat so I am installing a mercruiser 120 with merc out drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if there is anything I should be watching for when I do pull the motor.

Thanks!

Dezi

Bondo

Staff member
Is there only the 4 motor mount bolts that need to come off then I can lift it out?

Ayuh,.... That should do it,....

dezmond

Well that was a pretty good weekend! We were able to pull the old 2.3 and. Gimbal assembly out of the Capri and are now getting the mercruiser 120 in there. I drew up some new motor mount played to match up to the Capri mounts so I don't have to use that horrible front engine mount :). We did have to drill 2 new holes in the transom to accept the merc gimbal. Thank goodness I work at a Fiberglass shop so I had everything I needed to fix things up ;). Now we run into the issues of steering and throttle cables. The Capri is actually too short for the merc setup so I need a cable that is 1 foot longer. And the throttle and shift cables don't have the wonderful brass barrels that I need to attach to mine so I have to see if I can keep the controls from the Capri and just but the cables?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
So did you convert from a stringer to a Merc? you filled the big old hole in the transom ? Pics please !

dezmond

Yep I did the conversion :) No need to fill the big hole. I had to drill 2 new holes for mounting the gimbal assembly so I filled the 2 that were not needed. The new gasket fit nice and covered the original hole no problem. Wasn't bad at all. Just working on fabricating a couple new motor mounts for the front of the engine. Was actually a pretty easy swap :) Pics.... Ummmmmmmm :( I can get some for you when I pull the engine again to put the new mounts in. I didn't take any pics while we were swapping. Sorry.....

Wexford

Seaman Apprentice
I'm confused. I thought the stringers mounted the sterndrive direct against the engine which in turn is bolted to the stringers. Hence the name. Mercruisers are bolted to the transom with a drive shaft connecting to the engine. Key difference being the OMC stringers transfer the push of the prop through the drive, through the engine to the engine mountings. The transom just keeps water out and the hole is huge with a rubber gasket around it. Mercruisers transfer push of the prop through the sterndrive to the transom. The transom keeps water out and pushes the boat.much smaller hole in the transom, no rubber gasket.

dezmond

My Capri had a omc gimbal assembly mounted to the transom with a plate on the inside. Just like the merc has. It's a 87 bayliner Capri. The hole through the transom is almost identical to the merc. ALMOST. So I'm. It sure what model your looking at :( sorry