Alternator wiring and Prop type

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
We had a 75 stringer mated to a 5.0L chevy. We could never get the drive to seal properly. We just made sure we changed gear oil ALL the time. Probably changed it 3 times a season and always before a major trip.

Wexford

Seaman Apprentice
I got distracted last night working on the tilt clutch pack due to the fact it was just sitting there easy to get to and the cover was upside down with the fill hole at the bottom. At least it let all the water drain out when I opened it.

So queue pulling out the clutch pack liberal application of brake cleaner and a stiff bristle brush reassemble and refilled with marine gear oil overnight. Tonight will drain and pack with grease as per recommendations here and elsewhere.

So by the time that was done the night was drawing in and so was I.

I packed it in for the night, photos of alternator to follow. Been quoted 250 CAD for a marine one here so guess I am going to have to do some serious online hunting through iboats/ebay/kijji/craiglist.

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I dug up my spare 190 and here is the carb. I think the telltale of the marine carb is the overflow pipe that has the bend on the top.

On eBay search for "Arco 40152" and you'll quickly find the alternators you're looking for.

Attachments

• photo244255.JPG
    photo244255.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 0

Wexford

Seaman Apprentice
Mine has the bent pipe as well. and looks like my choke as well.

Thanks for the part number, I'll get hunting once pesky things like work get out of my way :)

Wexford

Seaman Apprentice
Carb pics

Part number D3JL-9510-S which seems to resolve OK to an OMC Stringer Holley carb, phew!! You guys are giving me a heart attack :D

carb-1a.jpg

carb-2a.jpg

carb-serial.jpg

Attachments

• carb-serial.jpg
    carb-serial.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's not just you. This discussion coincided with getting my spare OMC 190 pulled out of it's donor boat so I could haul that away to the dump. Unlike my 235 which is almost all original parts, this old 190 has aftermarket bits all over it so I've also been busy checking part numbers to make sure the PO hadn't hung any car parts on there.

The ice on the Mackenzie River here just went out yesterday so boating season is almost here!

Wexford

Seaman Apprentice
McKenzie is ice free all the way??? Wow!

Sucked the oil out of the intermediate housing and drained the upper, both milky white. Given I don't know when they were last drained and filled and the plugs seals are chewed pretty badly I'm not panicking yet and as Bruceb58 pointed out this could just be one of those things you live with.

Lower is waiting on appropriate C oil before I drain and refill

Wexford

Seaman Apprentice
Took the boat out today with a tightened belt and no over heating issues at any throttle setting. Tacho is out to lunch, 31 mph by gps and speedo showing 1800 rpm on a 20 inch pitch. Tested the charging system and all good.

Still needs a tune up, for a v8 its rough and tries to stall when opened up from idle.

New o-rings kept the water out so far, fingers crossed.

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took the boat out today with a tightened belt and no over heating issues at any throttle setting. Tacho is out to lunch, 31 mph by gps and speedo showing 1800 rpm on a 20 inch pitch. Tested the charging system and all good.

Still needs a tune up, for a v8 its rough and tries to stall when opened up from idle.

New o-rings kept the water out so far, fingers crossed.

So far so good! Wondering if that was at wide open throttle? Just o-rings did the trick for me too when mine was leaking. They truly are the Achilles Heel of the stringer design. I sometimes wonder if someone couldn't come up with o-rings made from some modern advanced material that wouldn't wear or flatten the way the original ones do...

Wexford

Seaman Apprentice
Yep WOT

I think the timing is way off as its slow to turn over when hot, you would think batteries were flat but they were fully charged.

Wexford

Seaman Apprentice
Looks like that electric choke is original as well
For posterity (and search engines) the single terminal electric choke on an 1975 190hp 302 engine block is a 986789 Choke OMC oem

electric choke.jpg

Now all I have to do is figure out why something so simple doesn't work as it doesn't appear to be obviously broken and bells out ok for connectivity but for all I know has been mucked about with and twisted beyond design specs

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Put 12 volts across it and see if it moves. Maybe it isn't getting a proper ground? When I Google OMC 986789 all I see is 5.7L Cobra..? Mind you, when I Google the part number from the BRP parts diagrams (47R-294-A) all I get is an eBay listing for one that looks like they found it on the ground and want a ridiculous amount of money for. But it has two terminals and so do both of mine.