SEI marine conversion kit

93seaswirl

Cadet
Hello all, I have my boat in the shop in reference to having shifting problems and foot oil coming out of my exhaust, I'm new to owning a boat and I'm preparing for the worst so my question is has anyone converted their OMC Cobra to the SEI conversion ?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... It's been discussed a few times in here,.....

Haven't seen the follow-ups though,.....

I believe iboats has the parts,....

93seaswirl

Cadet
Well I got not so good news today, my u-joint is going out in my OMC and was told that you can't find them anymore so I will be switching to the SEI conversion this fall, they swapped a OMC Chris craft to SEI at the marina I use so thank god for SEI !

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Well I got not so good news today, my u-joint is going out in my OMC and was told that you can't find them anymore

Howdy, Not sure what they told you about "U-joints" but they're not OMC specific parts. They shouldn't have any problem finding them at NAPA, Autozone or Oreillys.....

Switching to an SEI drive is the choice of a LOT of people and it's a nice set up, but if you only need U-joints, it would be a lot cheaper if you just replace the U-joints....

If the drive is leaking gear oil, you may of course have other more serious problems..... U-joints are the least of them...

Last edited:

93seaswirl

Cadet
I just know that I am on borrowed time with the OMC and Id rather switch to the SEI because parts will be a lot easier to get. But they said that the part it needs you can no longer get it, I was thinking the same thing about the U-joints be universal but at least with the SEI I can sleep a lot easier at night.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Yeah. You can get them just about anywhere. You could also take your yoke assembly to any good drive-line shop and they could press out the existing cross-bearings (AKA U-joints) and press in the new ones. Don't skimp and get the cheap import ones, get DANA-SPICER or equivalent.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
I would stick with the Cobra drive. What HT32BSX115 says about the Ujoints is important. And if you go SEI, the U joints are chinese, as are the gears, and bearings etc.
If your Cobra is in good shape and you look after it, it will outlast an SEI drive. I would install one of those aftermarket lube reservoirs that just attaches with a line to the top fill fitting - cheap insurance against seal leakage taking out your drive due to low lube level.