Suddenly no spark

1900clueless

Cadet
Where to start? Began with a gas issue: Rebuilt carbs corrected leaks in carb bowls, pinched wires to fuel pump (no damage to wires ). Also some gages not working. Replaced Rectifier/Regulater, tach. now working. gas gage fixed. power to other gages, but not working (water , trim) .all oil lights and Alarms are working. Stated up ran until cabs ran out of fuel, replaced VRO pump. Corrected leak in fuel line.
Stated engine, idled good , oil ok, fuel ok, Suddenly motor dies, will not start, plugs wet, fuse at motor ok. No spark so while running , using garden hose to supply water while it was last running I noticed the hose had a kink in it, some water was going to motor, the motor ran about 3 min. prior to shutting down at idle. Is there a connection between water pump and ignition ? Any thoughts on spark issue?

Some of these issues are in my forum topics prior to this one, this is an attempt at all recent history, incase they are related or tied to each other. Seams like a kill switch. but I am clueless.

southkogs

Staff member
Not sure if I'm following: is this the same motor as your outboard posts? Or is this a Stern Drive?

1900clueless

Cadet
Oh sorry 1996 Johnson 115 v4 60deg. sitting on a 19' Stratos Outboard

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Nope, no direct connection from water pump. Maybe theres an overheat switch on that motor but normally that just cuts the revs right down it wont cut out all spark.
I suggest you look up your motor on here and follow their non spark troubleshooter for that engine.
First step is normally to disconnect the kill wire to the powerpack (the black wire with yellow stripe). It could be a useful start considering what you have described.
You will need to use the choke or disconnect fuel line to get it to stop (should it start).

http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/docs/troubleshootingguide

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you tried a power pack yet? Is the kill switch working correctly?