1982 Seaswirl engine/outdrive Model number questions.

Saberdyne

Cadet
The carb issue I have figured out, thanks to an electric fuel pump. The issue was truly the wrong float in the carb and not putting enough upward pressure on the needle which allowed the bowl to overfill.

So my question for you experts is: did boat manufactures use previous model year parts in the early model next year boats? much like automotive manufactures during crossover years.

Specifically, I have a 1982 Seaswirl SV175 (according to title and USCG plate in the boat. However, the engine in the boat has the model number 170STHRC|F. When I do a parts look up the '82 model numbers start off with 382xxxxx. 81 model numbers are close. So far from what I can tell from the shift control box behind the engine, this is a hydro-mechanical shift outdrive.

I'm in the process of doing a impeller change. So far all the gears (sans ball gears) look great. The oil in the upper did have water in it from the last time the PO took the boat out. I haven't pulled the lower apart yet to verify that it is hydro-mech shift yet. But on the box there isn't any micro switches and there is not an ESA mounted behind the box.

My thoughts are that one of the owner swapped the '82 for an '81 engine and outdrive. The serial number plate on the port valve cover matches the serial number on the outdrive.

It's more of a curiosity thing more than anything else and just trying to make sure I know exactly what equipment is in my boat.

Thanks for looking.

southkogs

Staff member
It wouldn't be crazy for an '82 boat to have an '81 engine in it. Go with the model on the engine. It's a possible engine swap, but not necessarily.

Typically I didn't think the drives had the model number on them. Many times that turns out to the be the part number of the upper gear case housing that people see for numbers on the stern drive. But I'm not THAT familiar with the later Stringers, so maybe. And the number you put on there is pretty close to the '81 3.8. I'm used to the model numbers on a tag somewhere on the block or one of the rear mounts.

Saberdyne

Cadet
Thanks for the info. I may have crossed terms. I was going for the numbers on the valve covers match the numbers on the plate on the drive. So at least that's consistent. :)

After pulling the upper apart, it looks like ball gears and water pump shaft will need to be replaced. Still haven't torn down the lower just yet. I will probably pressure test the lower before tearing it down. If it holds pressure, would there be any reason to tear it down other than to clean the shift unit or the screen for the shift unit?

I'm not sure what I'll be getting into yet as I haven't really looked over the exploded diagram in the service manual. I've been focusing on getting the upper all finished up 1st.

southkogs

Staff member
I don't know that shift system very well ... gonna' have to wait for someone brainier to come along. I'm not gutsy enough to crack open the gear cases (just don't have the skill), and I'm not familiar with the hydro-mechanical or full-mechanical shift.

Otherwise, I wouldn't crack into it unless I knew I had to.