Change oil in the outdrive, i have a quesiton now.

mezz250x

Cadet
1988 OMC 5.0 Cobra

Changed the oil in the outdrive last week and ran it today for the first time. In the yard with the muffs on it. The oil level is fine, but the oil that is on the dipstick has air bubbles in it. Is this normal? I haven't looked at the oil before right after running it so I'm not sure what to expect.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Did you fill it from the middle like you are supposed to or from the bottom?

mezz250x

Cadet
Middle.

I have a hand pump that goes into the bottle and adapter that threads into the hole to fill it. Let it sit with the dipstick out up until today when I started the boat.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
OK...that's good

CobraOilFill.JPG

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

There'll still be a bit of trapped air in the drive. Ensure that you did fill it using the above procedure, (initial level check with dipstick "resting" on the threads) Run the drive and let it sit long enough for most of the air in the oil to rise to the surface. As you subsequently run the drive, the bubbles will dissipate.

Did you measure the amount that you pumped in? If you pumped in the correct amount (for your model drive), You're good.

The correct amount will measure slightly overfilled (with the dipstick screwed all the way in) until the little bit of air works it way out.

mezz250x

Cadet
I bought a service manual for the engine/drive that is the same as posted above. It calls for 64oz so that's what I out in, 2 bottles. Maybe I'll run it a few times in the yard before going to the water.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Make sure you do the initial oil level check with the dipstick NOT screwed in (sitting on the threads)

When you run the drive in the water, the oil will get warm (and a little thinner) and any air bubbles still in the oil will rise to the top a little quicker.

If you use a synthetic gear oil, the bubbles will rise quicker (cold) since synthetic gear oil is and flows better when cold(one of the best reasons for using synthetics)