Gear Oil Question

First of all, HAPPY SPRING!! I hope everyone's winter wasn't too harsh and that your boating season is a good one.

I bought a case of Volvo Penta 80W90 GL-5 gear oil at a Marina liquidation auction for about 2 bucks a quart.

It's description reads - "Petroleum based gear lube for older Volvo Penta drives with bronze cone clutch. Lubrication properties protect drive and transmission even under heavy load. Also provides excellent corrosion protection. Withstands high temperatures without breaking down.

Do you think it's suitable for use in a '90 OMC cobra drive?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Yes use it.
​You know how to fill a Cobra drive?
Filled from the side not the bottom.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I bought a case of Volvo Penta 80W90 GL-5 gear oil ...............
Do you think it's suitable for use in a '90 OMC cobra drive?
Yes, it is.

But filling the drive might not be the same for all 90's drives depending on the model.

Some drives in 90 were dog-clutch and some were the "interim" cone clutch Cobra drives.

Ensure you use the OMC procedure found in the OEM service manual when you fill it. (DO NOT USE ANY procedure from a NON-OEM manuaL)

If it's a dog-clutch Cobra, fill it like Jerry indicates above (From the middle "FILL" port) check the initial level with the dipstick resting on the top of the threads.

If it's a Cone-Clutch Cobra, I don't know. read the OMC manual and ensure that the manual is correct for your model.

Fill a Dog-Clutch Cobra wrong, and you'll be rebuilding or replacing it very soon!

Regards,

Rick