1982 Seaswirl 3.8L Carb issue/questions

Saberdyne

Cadet
Hello All,

Recently I picked up '82 Seaswirl 3.8. Hull is in great shape, all solid, no sun damage, 1 seat has a split in it. Outdrive needs a seal kit and impeller as there's water in the gear oil and I want to give the entire drive a refresh.

Previous owner said that he had the carburetor professionally rebuilt 2 years ago and even produced a receipt stating as such. As far as I was told, it ran that summer and part of the previous year and sat. I ordered a kit and rebuilt it. Let it soak in berrymans for a couple of days and rebuilt it. Float measurements are as stated in the kit specifications as well as the OMC repair manual.

I ordered a second kit, and the needle and seat are completely different sizes than the ones installed. The 2nd kit's seat has two holes machined near where the needle would close off fuel flow.

Almost instantly the boat loads up with fuel and puffs black smoke (too rich) and the idle screw is all the way down. After about 15 minutes the plugs are completely fouled and wet. Ignition timing, point gap and spark plug gap have all be set according to the specifications on the valve cover. I've eliminated crud in the tank by using a new 5 gallon gas tank with fresh gas. There is no fuel coming up the tube at the back of the carb. I've even tried setting the float level even higher so there's less fuel in the bowl. I've also tested the float. After 24 hours weighted down in water, it pops right back to the surface. After the test when I pull the carb off again, the carb gasket is soaked with fuel.

New cap, condenser, points, wires, and plugs.

Rebuilt again, and the same exact issue. - stamped numbers on the side of the carb are not readable and no tag.

So, here's some oddities that I've noticed.

1. The float looks nothing like the replacements. It looks more trapezoid shaped (when looking from the side) and has a machined indent in the side where as the 2GC floats that I've looked up are horseshoeish shaped (indent in the middle while looking from the top down).
2. The only number that I can come up with is 17050257 located on the throttle plate assembly. When I try to cross that number via google, I get a ton of posts on automotive stuff, but nothing (or not much) on marine.

My thought is that somewhere along the line the carb was Frankensteined into its current form.

At one point in this journey, I was going to start tearing into the rockers and see if they've been adjusted correctly or had a collapsed spring.

So I'm out of ideas with this carb except for replacement but I'm looking for some advice or something that I may have over looked. Any suggestion and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

JJBoatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you try putting the float and seat back in that you removed?

Saberdyne

Cadet
I am using the original float as it tested out good. I ordered 2 kits for the carb. One kit the needle and seat were correct but the 2nd kit was not. The seat in the 2nd kit looked different and the needle was considerably shorter than the original and the 1st kit I ordered. I didn't put the originals back in as they were all gummed up and I tossed them when I did the rebuild on it the 1st time.

Saberdyne

Cadet
Update: I ran a fuel pressure test this evening and the tester showed 8 PSI. With it being an analog gauge, I'm assuming that it is actually reading 7. I 've got a friend of mine that has a 3 PSI electric pump. I will be testing with that tomorrow evening.

If that solves the issue, I'll stick a fuel pressure regulator inline. Holly makes a decent one that is from 1-4 PSI.