75 OMC 120 Stringer, new impeller kit, won't prime itself

stan2076

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

Just replaced the impeller kit in my 75 stringer and it will not prime itself. When I give it some water at the pivot flush fitting, it then starts to pump strong from the pickup tube, and both tattle tale streams are strong. If I turn off the motor and restart it within a minute the pump will prime itself, if I wait longer the pump will not prime.

I have done a lot of reading on this issue and have made sure to pump the swivel zerk full of grease, used Permatex #2 on the back of the impeller housing and on the plate to the impeller housing and the plate to the swivel housing.

The outdrive is sitting in a cut off plastic barrel, which I have seen people say will not work saying that "you can only test a stringer in the lake", however the barrel flexes enough so that the water depth is level with the water line on my pontoons.

One thing I'm not sure about, when the motor is running, it looks like there is exhaust coming from the gap between the upper gearcase and lower end of the outdrive. Here's a link to a short video which shows exhaust sputtering water out from that gap. Not sure if that is a problem.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7aCi2tdtBmTMllFVmp6a2JWSFU/view?usp=sharing

I'm a new boater, mechanically inclined, but still a novice when it comes to this stuff. Any help is appreciated. I'm glad to gather any other info/pictures/video that might help.

Thanks!
Stan

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

Generally speaking a Stringer gets completely submerged when it's in the water. The Stringer kinda' floods with water and the impeller moves it around more than sucking it up into the boat, so I don't think your barrel is working.

If you hook the hose up to the water fitting on the pivot point, the cooling system works fine, correct? If so, take it to the lake and try from there.

The video you show may have the upper situated a little off from the lower, and if there's not proper grease (like you mentioned) it's possible to overheat from exhaust gas. But in my experience with my Stringer, exhaust has a few different escape routes from the sterndrive anyway.

I believe it's due to trying to run it in a barrel.

stan2076

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks southkogs. I'm planning on getting the boat in the water this week and hopefully I can report that its working.

Now can you do something about the Chicago weather? Its been feeling more like November than April/May recently.

stan2076

Seaman Apprentice
Finally got the boat in the water last weekend. The pump primed immediately after the motor was started in the water. Thanks!