1988 OMC Cobra 4.3L Shifting issues

JJBoatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good thread for a common failure on the cobras. I would however like to add that even though the aftermarket cables can have slight differences from OEM they still work fine. I helped my brother replace his lower shift cable with an aftermarket one and it worked perfectly on his 92' 4.3 Cobra. Looking forward to reading your results from this cable change. With 8 - 10 lbs of pull, I'd say you found your smoking gun for the ESA being actuated too far.

JJBoatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You always want to stick with OEM with these cables.

I agree that OEM is the best of the options. Just sharing experience because sometimes the extra $130 for OEM isn't always easy to scare up. As was the case for my brother. Turned out that his lower needed a rebuild because it still had the 3? dog set in it. He informed the tech that he had installed an aftermarket cable and asked if he should replace it with OEM. The tech said absolutely not, the aftermarket cable is fine so long as it's adjusted properly. This tech was in the business during the OMC shifting problem recalls and he has changed hundreds of cables and clutch dog sets.
Again, just sharing experience, not trying to convince anyone that aftermarket is of higher quality than OEM.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
He didn't need a rebuild because of the 3? dog gear set unless they were already worn out. That was OMCs first try at the solution to the problem they were having until they figured out it was the cables causing the problem. Time to find a different OMC mechanic.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
BTW...the angle was increased from 2 to 5 degrees. There was never a 3 degree gear set.

JJBoatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My bad. And yes his clutch dog was worn out, and yes it was the 2? that was removed when it was rebuilt.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer
Any tips JJ?

I've got the gimbal bearing back in...

now just have to put everything back together tomorrow :)

JJBoatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any tips JJ?

I've got the gimbal bearing back in...

now just have to put everything back together tomorrow :)

Make sure the shift arm is held 90? to the pivot housing. I would advise in investing in the proper rigging tool for that and the upper end of the cable.

lasko1

Seaman
In regards to my original post , lower shift cable replaced, new shift control box and all is well. Shifts super easy. I think the main culprit was the lower shift cable but my control box was original and grinding so we replaced it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I agree that OEM is the best of the options. ......................................... The tech said absolutely not, the aftermarket cable is fine so long as it's adjusted properly. This tech was in the business during the OMC shifting problem recalls and he has changed hundreds of cables and clutch dog sets.
Again, just sharing experience, not trying to convince anyone that aftermarket is of higher quality than OEM.

The original issue (that OMC discovered) was not that the "problem" cables weren't OEM (they WERE!!) it's that they were DEFECTIVE from the start!
OMC discovered that the manufacturing process PRODUCED cables that would require progressively increasing force to move as they aged (possibly due to corrosion etc)

So, they (or the actual cable vendor) changed the manufacturing process (and changed the cable jacket color etc) and "FIXED" the problem (albeit too late to save them)

This also DOES NOT now mean that any NON-OEM (or NON-BRP) cable will always be sub-standard or "BAD" out of the box. However, like ANY off-shore part. It might be, or you might get one that is defective.

I think I might spend the extra $70 (the approx cost of a weekend amount of fuel) to prevent damage to a drive that costs HUNDREDS more!

Also, for anyone else reading this thread with an old Cobra. It's also "worth" it to replace your 25-30 year old shift quadrant for the same reason.

Just saying......:thumb::thumb: