Penn Yan Tunnel Drive Engine Help

arrchapman

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1979 Penn Yan tunnel drive with a OMC 454 King Cobra engine. I purchased it from a colleagues friend who said they got too old to take it out anymore. The boat has been sitting for 5 years roughly. 6 years ago it was taken out, winterized, brought out the following summer, ran once, then winterized and has been sitting ever since. The motor turns over but on further inspection(that made me hult everything I'm doing), I noticed there was water in the oil. The boat had a lot of water below in the engine compartment, that the previous owner stated was there for a long time. It appears at one point the water level was very high above the dip stick. Would it have been possible the water went in through the dip stick or some other part of the engine? Is this an engine killer?

Thanks for all advice!

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Pretty unlikely that the water got in there through the dipstick , its probably one of 2 things or maybe even both .

1. Cracked block from water in there freezing , yes this typically is an engine killer.
2. Cracked exhaust manifolds , water then drains into the engine from these cracking as well .

If its either of these , then engine wasnt properly winterized... but in any event you have some work ahead of you to find the culprit .

Check out this thread for next steps .

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...rd-engines-outdrives/379100-water-in-your-oil

Good luck !

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
The boat had a lot of water below in the engine compartment, that the previous owner stated was there for a long time.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Unfortunately, that's very Bad news for not only the motor, but more importantly, the hull,.....

Does it freeze where it's been the last 6 years,..??

You have a long row to hoe to go boatin' in that boat,...

Good Luck,.... We'll be here to help ya along,...... ;)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Yes water could get in there if the water got that deep.
​ You say King Cobra.
How about some pics.
The KC was used in an I/O setup and if it's a real KC the dip stick wouldn't be low enough to siphon water????
​Any idea what year the motor is??

Last edited:

arrchapman

Cadet
So after the winter I finally got to start looking around. I have some pictures of my engine. If you notice one side is vibrantly colored and the other is dirty. The boat is sitting off center on the trailer. Going to have to put it in the water to get it straight(if she makes it to that point lol). So the color differential is due to where the water level was.

After some research I have discovered its not a King Cobra, sorry for the wrong info in my original question.

The hull we were worried that there would be damage. We drilled core holes to make sure the wood was still ok, and it came out fine. So not a huge concern there. The person I bought it from said it was winterized professionally at a mariner, not done by them.

On another side note, when we drained out all of the water from the hull, we rechecked the oil and there was no oil or water on the dip stick. I'm learning about all of the ins and outs of boating engines, and was informed that sometimes people remove the oil bolt in the pan and that could be a reason there was water in the pan on my original inspection of the oil. Not sure if accurate...but thought it was interesting.

Pretty sure were just going to have to pull the motor and get a good look at it. Would that be the best course of action?

Thanks for all the help! And sorry for the long post....lot of work to do!

Attachments

• boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Pretty sure were just going to have to pull the motor and get a good look at it. Would that be the best course of action?

Ayuh,..... I believe you've come to the proper conclusion,...

arrchapman

Cadet
Was able to look around today, rather large crack in the oil pan on the starboard side where the water level rose. Got a lot of work to do over the next couple weeks!