1992 Cobra 5.8L carbureted cold start/idle problem

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a OMC 5.8L carbureted engine. It runs fine when warm, When cold, I have to pump the throttle a few times to get it to start, and keep the throttle at fast idle to keep it running until it's warm; about 3-4 minutes. I suspect the electric choke is not functioning properly. Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot or repair this problem?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have a OMC 5.8L carbureted engine. It runs fine when warm, When cold, I have to pump the throttle a few times to get it to start, and keep the throttle at fast idle to keep it running until it's warm; about 3-4 minutes. I suspect the electric choke is not functioning properly. Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot or repair this problem?

Howdy,

Well, it might be helpful if you post your model number. There's 6 1992 models and 2 1991 models.
Yours could be any of these 8 models

Now having said that, electric chokes are pretty simple. There's a 12v heating element in a small housing on the side of the carb. The heating element of course gets hot enough to cause a bi-metallic "spring" to move the choke plate shaft to the open position once it's fully heated. (it's closed when cold)

Since it should be closed when the engine is cold that would tell you right away if it's anywhere close to being adjusted correctly.

It also should after a few minutes of being powered, begin opening the choke plate to fully open once the element is fully heated.

On the other hand, Yours could be adjusted like mine.

I disconnected it and adjusted it completely out of the picture because I only boat in warm weather so I really don't need a choke. I also have to pump the throttle and manually run the engine at a high idle when I initially start it. I don't really mind though. It doesn't take long for it to warm up and after initial start up, it starts fine for the rest of the day.

Doing that requires me to have the carb idle speed and mixture adjustment set right. I installed my Mercruiser 454 back in 2005 (or was it 2006?) and never did connect the choke at all.

I am not necessarily suggesting you do that......it just works for me......

It should be pretty easy to determine if your choke is working by first looking at your choke plate. When the engine is cold, is the plate open? (vertical) If it is, it's either adjusted like mine (out of the picture) or it's stuck open.

Apply 12v to the heating element. (use a simple jumper wire with a 10A or so fuse...) does the element get hot after several minutes?

If it does, it might be ok and all you need to do is adjust it..... if you can move the choke plate by hand.

There should be an autochoke adjustment procedure in the following online manual if you don't have an OMC service manual

http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

Regards,

Rick

Bondo

Staff member
When cold, I have to pump the throttle a few times to get it to start, and keep the throttle at fast idle to keep it running until it's warm; about 3-4 minutes.

Ayuh,..... Sounds quite normal for a carbed motor,.....

Boat carb chokes don't have a hi-idle step, as ya got the throttle handle, in yer hand,....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure that they even had an electric choke then? The Ford engines used by OMC usually had hot air chokes just like what you saw on an Autolite 2100 or 4300 back in the the old days. The choke plate should close or come close to closing and as the engine starts a vacuum operated linkage should pull it open a fraction of an inch to give it air to keep running.
The thermostatic spring in the choke housing gets heated by hot air being sucked past it by engine vacuum.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure that they even had an electric choke then?
For 1991 & 1992 they did. All the 2v and 4v carbs....At least according to the BRP parts lists for every model in those years, show an electric choke in the parts diagrams.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Newbie here can't figure out how to start a new thread. So I'm looking for info on how to adjust my idle on a 460 KC (King cobra) it is a bit high after warm about 1100 rpm. Do I make adjustment on carb or on throttle linkage. Thanks in advance, newbie.

Howdy Welcome aboard!

OMG 460 King Kobra! :eek: (I had one of those!)

Go to http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html# if you do not have the OEM manual. Make sure you have the throttle control cable removed from the carb when you adjust it.

Regards,

Rick