Im new, don't laugh...

noahsinclair

Cadet
looking at buying a '73 flybridge Skipjack with an I/O 5.7 Liter OMC, OMC "stringer" outdrive. Im not to sure about the outdrive, reading through some other threads it seams they don't make parts anymore? Is that outdrive a deal breaker? I really like the boat, its been well maintained and the engine runs well, minus an idling issue currently.

Bondo

Staff member
Im not to sure about the outdrive, reading through some other threads it seams they don't make parts anymore? Is that outdrive a deal breaker?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... The early stringers were the worst, the electric shift models,....

Unless ya wanta completely gut, 'n repower the hull with a Merc or Volvo, don't even think 'bout buyin' it,.....

noahsinclair

Cadet
Thanks for the response and advise! Getting an older boat is a project enough for me, sounds like thats a deal breaker. She's such a nice boat too, Ill find mine soon enough!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
noahsinclair, sorry to hear about the boat. But honestly, you will find something else that will be a better buy. There are tons of boats out there. Keep watching and looking. :thumb:

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks for the response and advise! Getting an older boat is a project enough for me, sounds like thats a deal breaker. She's such a nice boat too, Ill find mine soon enough!

Ayuh,.... At this point in time, seein's yer Lookin' for a barge of yer own,....

The one piece of advice I can give ya is,.... Avoid any barge with an OMC driveline, or a Merc 470 I/O motor,.....

A Volvo, with a Ford motor ain't the best choice,.... Ford has been outa the game since the mid-'90s,...
An ole Merc with a Ford motor ain't the best choice either,...... Merc quit Ford power in the '70s,...

A Volvo, or Merc, with GM power is no doubt what ya really wanta find,.....

Good Luck,....

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Listen to Bondo... and if you happen to stumble across a boat with a Yamaha I/O (they're still out there waiting to trap the unwary), whether the motor is GM or Ford, just run away. You DO NOT want the grief.

My .02

noahsinclair

Cadet
Thanks again for the advise! Im glad I waited as I stumbled upon an immaculate 1986 Skippy 24 Open, she is powered by a 425 Volvo Penta, with a Volvo outdrive. My only concern now is where I'm going to store her as trailering is not an option. I have a 2014 Tacoma 2wd, and don't think I could get her out of the water as I had a dry storage at the dunes in Newport waiting for her.
I do have a mooring available to me in NB, but Im concerned with keeping an I/O in the water, thoughts? I was also looking into dry stack although I hear thats really expensive!
Besides upgrading my truck, what are your guys' thoughts?