OMC Cobra engine aligment

Hi,
firstly Im sorry for my English. Im from Czech republic and Im not native speaker and not to clever for languages :)...

I have Omc Cobra 4.3 from 1989 and have problem with engine aligment...
I have done Up/Down aligment without problems but I need to move it more to side...
All nuts has been loosen and motor moved as much as possiblle but still needs litlle bit...
Does anybody know why its miss aligment to much?
How about to fill motor mounts holes with epoxy and make new one little bit in the side...
I have spent 5 hours with engine movement but still need 1/2" to the left...
I have aligment tool...

Thank you very very much !
One more time Im sorry for my English...
I have to learn it more...
Thank you !!

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander
No problem with your English. You expressed your self quite well.
They do not provide an adjustment for side to side. The rear motor mounts are supposed to keep that straight. I have come across a bad engine coupler that had a similar affect. Try rotating the crank shaft a quarter turn and check the alignment again.

That is the only thing that I dont tried... :)... Thank you very much for your answer, responce...
Im quit desperate with this...
Will try tomorow and let you know...
We have 21.00 hours here know :)...
One more time THANK YOU !!

Thx :)...

I tried to rotate the crank shaft, but it looks at same position like before...
I do not understand how this could be possible...
How you wrote, the rear motor mounts should keep it in the middle becouse its mounted on gimball housing ( from inside ).
I checked rear mounts and they looks "fine".
No tear or worn...
So its should be in the middle, but its not...
How did you changed that coupler?
Must engine be take out off the boat ?
Im not sure what else I can do...

THANK YOU very much for every idea !!
It helps me a lot !
Thank you...

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The gimbal bearing if it's not straight it can show that it's off L-R
The gimbal's in 2 pieces. The outer housing and the inner roller.
​Stick the shaft in and try moving the inner roller in the gimbal to another position.
If it doesn't move then it's seized and needs replacing.

wrench 3

Commander
If you turned the crank shaft and the alignment didn't change, then the coupler is not the problem. The rear mounts are rubber so it is possible that the front mounts are pulling the engine sideways. Unbolt the front mounts from the stringers and see if the engine will move sideways far enough to get an alignment.
To repair damaged mounting holes I've put 1/4" (6mm) plate under the mount, drilled and tapped holes in the plate to bolt the mount to it, and drilled new holes in the plate to mount it to the stringer. You may have to do the same thing here. Afterwards you will have to readjust the vertical alignment to compensate for the plate thickness.