Oil in water Im stumped

user-name

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Motor 302.
fresh water cooled.
raw water cooled manifolds.
raw water cooled oil cooler.

I got water in my oil. Dip stick was full not over full. anti freeze in fine no oil no loss. It just dont seem like a head gasket.

So I removed oil cooler filled it under air pressure underwater in a 5 gallon bucket no bubbles.

Oil is grey and steams out water.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a lot of oil or a little oil

condensation from running the water too cold will form and add water to the oil
your manifolds and risers could be leaking back into the motor via an exhaust port.

user-name

Petty Officer 2nd Class
a lot of oil or a little oil

No oil loss or gain on the dip stick just gray oil.

I do live in the PNW Seattle area condensation was the only answer I could come up with also I was chewing that word but just couldn't swallow it. THANK YOU

14 mile rum to fishing grounds fish all day on kicker 14 miles back.

I probably do to much idle time on trailer also.

Recently changed the water pump on the moter she does run cooler than old water pump did.

Old water pump on trailer idle would get up to 150-160 and cycle down to 125ish then up to 150-160
Now up to 125ish max down to 100 back up 125ish

I'll replace tstat

Note SB valve cover has a PCV valve portside has a breather type cap. Should I replace that cap with a non breathable? Thinking less condensation inlet.

Again THANK YOU

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Heat exchanged cooled should be 160f thermostat

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Agreed,... Bring up the heat to steam off the condensation,....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Under normal operation the motor should burn off any condensation that normally forms.
Pull the plugs after the motor sets for a while.
Check for rust.
If the oil cooler is ok then the riser/ manifolds about the only place it can come from.
It doesn't take a lot of water to turn the oil grey.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
It doesn't take a lot of water to turn the oil grey.

Condensation usually doesn't produce enough water to make the oil grey............I would suggest changing the oil and running it hard enough to get the engine to operating temp, then run it for a couple of hours at operating temp to boil out any residual.

If it stays grey or becomes grey again, I would say it's leaking in ( from someplace) If the boat stays outside, look for a path for rainwater into the engine compartment....It DOES rain here once in a while in the Great Upper Left Coast!

Put a pressure gage on the cooling system and see if it's maintaining pressure after a shutdown.. (7, 10, 13 psi etc) If the pressure drops it's leaking someplace.

It's also unlikely you would get any water in the oil through a leaking oil cooler. The oil pressure is MUCH higher than any water pressure that might be on the cooler. You would just lose oil overboard through it if it was leaking.

You could also have leaking riser gaskets, risers and/or exhaust manifolds but the amount of water is usually limited to what is in the manifolds/risers immediately after shut-down. I had that problem with my previously installed OMG 460. If I tried to start it within 20 min or so of shutdown, it would briefly hydrolock then start after a couple of tries.

The amount of water wasn't all that much and never turned the oil grey and since I was usually driving the boat after shutdown, that little bit of water in the oil (that got past the rings) evaporated out in short order. If I waited over night (or longer than about 30-45min) the engine started normally indicating that the oil leaked past the rings in that amount of time.