1989 Galaxie 1790V 4.3L OMC Cobra I/O

bnugen18

Recruit
Any help is appreciated on this. On this boat I'm having problems with getting the boat out of gear (forward and reverse) when it's in the water, it goes into gear just fine. From my understanding of the system it uses micro switches on the throttle to "cut out" the ignition to ease the pressure on the out drive. From what I can tell the engine RPM does not drop at all when attempting to switch gears. I have tested for continuity both of the switches and they check out just fine. I have also replaced the control module mounted on the throttle lever bracket. The module that I replaced it with was used and I'm thinking that may be my problem. I have no idea how to test it, or if there is a way to test it. I'm open to ideas if anyone has some, thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There are two switches. One is the shift switch and the other is the overstroke switch. The overstroke is normally closed and the shift switch is normally open.

With the engine running depress the shift switch with your finger. It is the switch that rides on the "W" shaped cam. If that doesn't stumble the engine, verify that the overstroke switch is not depressed. The overstroke switch is only depressed when the engine is in gear.

In later years, 1990 or so, a new ESA module was introduced that doesn't use the overstroke switch. The cabling of the module itself bypasses it.

Another thing you should check is the ground wire that connects to the manifold. Verify that it has a good clean connection.

fetch

Last edited:

bnugen18

Recruit
Sounds good, thank you. Once it warms up just a little bit I'll get to it. I have the interior all torn apart rebuilding some seats right now

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What's the rpm's.
​Too high and sometimes it won'rtallow the system to work.
Also if the shift cable and bellcrank are dirty or fouled,corroded it won't work right.