OMC Cobra/ford 302 - slave/assist solenoid issue?

#1Claymore

Recruit
1990 OMC Cobra / Ford 302 / HO V8:
00F0F_8Yjox5UoV4X_600x450.jpg

The starter engages when positive cable from solenoid is attached to starter.....with key off/disconnected.....with S & I leads disconnected,,,,,with everything disconnected from the new slave solenoid.....so, I suspect a closed circuit in the solenoid.
Any conformation of this or other trouble shooting leads?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
1990 OMC Cobra / Ford 302 / HO V8:
00F0F_8Yjox5UoV4X_600x450.jpg

The starter engages when positive cable from solenoid is attached to starter.....with key off/disconnected.....with S & I leads disconnected,,,,,with everything disconnected from the new slave solenoid.....so, I suspect a closed circuit in the solenoid.
Any conformation of this or other trouble shooting leads?

Howdy

The below pic shows a Merc but pay no attention to that. If all the wires are off the starter, and you are connecting the battery cable to the top large terminal (Red cable shown) and the starter runs, then you have a hung up starter solenoid

Merc Elect fuel pump wiring.jpg

#1Claymore

Recruit
Howdy to you & thanks for the response. Although your diagrams do not reflect the connections I am dealing with
My starter has one connecting cable going from the external assist solenoid to the starter.
All other wire connections are made at the slave solenoid. There is the "I" post, there is the "S" post and there are two large posts. One is for the battery and the other is for the starter. The unit is grounded with a separate blk wire connector at the lower mounting bolt.
Guess my question is this: When the external slave/assist solenoid is at rest or not connected to anything.....should there be continuity between the two large posts? I think not.
This is a new solenoid also. New stuff is sometimes faulty at the get-go. ?

#1Claymore

Recruit
Thanks again for the info. I'm going to swap out the solenoid and go again from there. Thanks again. I'll post the results.

alldodge

Staff member
OK, I have the Ford wiring diagram but it has 2 wires feeding it Ford 5.8 no1.jpg