trying to solve a stall out issue

breakingbass

Cadet
hi all, i own a 1985 Galaxie v-hull I/O with an OMC 400 OMC stringer and a GMC 4-cylinder 3.0 L motor. i have been restoring this boat since last year. for a little background on the boat, here is what i have done so far:

i completely tore down and rebuilt the out drive, replacing the drive shafts, impeller, the works. i replaced the tilt motor and serviced the worm gear and clutch pack. on the motor, i replaced the starter, battery terminals, serviced the distributor, new plugs, new fuel filter, changed oil in the crankcase (and in the out drive upper and lower) replaced manifold gaskets, and rocker cover gasket. i recently completely rebuilt and tuned the rochester 2GC carb. i also have a brand new group 29 marine battery deep cycle to run my electronics, and a group 29 marine starting battery.

the boat has been running great, but last weekend i was on a fishing trip and at the end of the day, i was heading back to the launch when i suddenly experienced a stall out. it didnt sputter or slowly died, i was traveling at 19 MPH SOG and it was as if i turned the ignition to the off position. it was a very sudden shutoff. after the boat stalled out, i turned the key and it immediately fired back up.

right before the boat stalled, a large oncoming boat suddenly stopped, and then instantly gunned it forward for some reason causing a large wake i couldnt avoid jumping. my boat slammed fairly hard, and that's when i experienced the stall out. i thought at first that maybe as i jumped the wake, the jostling of the boat was enough to cause the battery to get shaken hard enough that it caused a power failure (the battery is a traditional cell, not an AGM). the weird part is that after the stall out, i was able to instantly fire the boat back up no problem, got going again, and then about a minute later, i experienced the same sudden stall out.

i once again was able to immediately fire the boat back up with one quick key turn, i then played it safe and drove the remaining few miles back to the launch under 10 MPH SOG. the most recent fix i had made prior to this last boat trip was the rebuilding of the carb. the boat ran awesome the entire trip, and i only experienced the two stall outs after an entire day out on the water.

i am thinking it is some sort of electrical problem since the stall out was sudden and not one where the motor sputtered out as if the fuel/air mixture wasnt right. does anyone have any opinions on where i should start to look? does anyone think the stall out was simply caused by the big wake i jumped? any thoughts on this would be really appreciated. i would like to get the boat back on the water this weekend, but i would also like to figure out why i stalled. please let me know if there is any information that i have left out that might help in diagnosing the cause of this stall out. i have been learning a lot tearing this boat down and making all of my repairs and upgrades, but i still consider myself a novice when it comes to boat restoration, so all the help i could get from more experienced guys/gals would really help. thanks in advance everyone.

southkogs

Staff member
This is a total shot in the dark, but is it possible that your "jump" caused a couple of air pockets in your fuel line? So that you had more of an incident than a mechanical problem?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Condenser?
Just dying and instantly restarting doesn't sound ​like fuel.

Start with dist. and wiring?
Check wiring loom for loose connector.

breakingbass

Cadet
thanks for the suggestions fellas, i am getting ready to dig into it now. ive already got some of the more obvious checks out of the way, battery and terminal cables look good. system is charging correctly too. i will look into the distributor and the wiring. anything in particular out of the obvious should i be on the look out for when i open the distributor cap? i opened it up to perform a routine check on it a month back and i didnt notice anything wrong with it. maybe there's something there that i missed? i generally went off the service manual when i performed that check last month. anyway, ill report back at the end of the day. thanks for the help!

BKH

Cadet
Does that year have the ESA (electronic shift assist). if so sometimes if you hit a wake like that your sterndrive will flex a little bit and cause your shift interrupter to make contact and stall out. To check them you can press the little button in and see if it is sticking. if so clean them or they might need to be replaced. Definitely sounds electrical to me because of the sudden stall out.