Rochester 2bl.

MRS

Commander
Has any one here got a carb from flying fish carbs I have rebuilt once still having troubles. Going to do one more time and change float this time if still does not work will probably order from them Thanks for any replies...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you did not chase each and every passage with a fine wire and air, you did not clean it properly. 90% of "rebuilt" carbs are still dirty.

what are you troubles?

MRS

Commander
Idles great but will not get over 2500 rpm's when on the water smells like running rich. Sounds and feels like the choke is on but it is not ran great for 5yr.s then the fuel pump went out and so did the carb. I do have some of the old strong nasty carb dip that I will use this time and hope it does clean it out good will also run wire through every thing. Plus I did do full tune up and everything is where it should be timming included. Does not back fire just lugs real bad. Thanks for the reply...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know this sounds stupid, but what are the compressions on that engine presently?

MRS

Commander
No have not but pertty sure it has to be carb troubles but can go there next if carb does not fix it. Thanks for the reply.

MRS

Commander
Still wondering where any body has gotten a rebuilt carb from that has got good results from? Maybe should put in a different section?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MRS, I have zero ideas what your carb even looks like. Maybe post a picture or three and we can see what you are working with. I know I once had a carb that kept giving me a problem even after two complete rebuilds. And I never ever removed the little welch plugs on the carb. So I decide to remove them this time and there was a lot of trash under one and that fixed my carb issue. So you have to literally remove and thoroughly go through every little tiny passage to make certain there isn't some trash plugging a passage some times. If you honestly think the carb still is your problem, why not buy a new one? It would be new, clean and ready to run. And if you still have issues after installing a new one, then your carb was never the problem to start with. JMHO!

MRS

Commander
Cannot get with the right linkage on it or I would get new.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MRS, I took your carb number and did a quick cursory search for a carb kit and the very first search showed a kit Part #: K4082 for about $26 dollars for it from Mike's carburetor parts . And there are literally ton of Rochester carb sites on the web for such things. So take a pick and buy a rebuild kit and some good carb cleaner and have at it. Just make sure that ever little passage is clean and cleared before reassembling it again. Hope that helps you out some. JMHO!

MRS

Commander
That is where I ordered the carburetor kit from plus I just ordered the float and got now. So ready for round two. Will update after the rebuild.