No ignition

284Bullitt

Cadet
New at boating - bought a 1987 twin OMC 305 Amerosport. Replaced plus, coil, petronixs module, rotor, cap, and rebuilt carb. Checked over stroke switchs and connections.

Crusin at 2800 and heard ​what sounded like a large switch click - the engine faltered - took the engine down to about 800rpm and used the starboard enging to get home.

Engine has not restarted since that day - everything works as it should, good spark, fresh fuel & filters, no damage noted anywhere ! I turn the key and all it does is roll over - not a spit or sputter. Rechecked every thing including compression - lowest is 125 - highest 150 !

I heard about a resister wire in the key switch - how do I find and check that and what should I look for ?

They guy I bought the boat from seemed to be one who just added things where ever he wanted to. He added fish finder, gps and stereo all by just tapping into what ever he found . I cant find a wiring diagram for my boat so between being new and nothing to go on - I need help !

I live in up state NY and mechanics around here will only talk to you if you hang out $125/hour. One electrical repairman made three appointments and never showed.

Help !

alldodge

Staff member
Compression at 125 is not good but it should run. You said your getting spark and fuel, with those two it should fire. Do you see fuel go down the throat of the carb when the throttle is pushed forward?

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, fuel squirts - I even checked fuel pump !

Your not getting something, pull the coil wire and hold it close to a ground and see if you can get good spark. If spark is good, spray a short spot of either (starting fluid)

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Loud snap like switch closing, what was that? Broken rotor button? Cracked distributor cap? Pull a PLUG wire and see if you have a hot blue spark at the end of the plug wire. Is it jerking around and bucking, maybe backfiring like it's out of time or just cranking but not starting?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Possible jump timing?
Check volt​age at the coil.
Should be 9v.
If it's 12v then see if the coil has an internal resistor.
But I doubt that's the prob.

Turn the motor over till TDC. Remove the dist cap and see where the rotor is pointing???

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Remove distributor cap and crank the engine. If rotor is turning that's good and not likely the timing jumpped. If rotor doesn't turn then the roll pin that secures the drive gear to the distributor shaft broke or the gear stripped.