1988 omc 305 melted distirbutor rotor

BKH

Cadet
Four winns quit coming in. After further investigation the distributor rotor melted and made the inside of cap like a powder film. So I changed cap and rotor and boat tries to start for about one second and quits.Checked spark and it looks good. checked fuel pressure and filter at carb and all is good. Not sure what would cause this and why it won't run now. HELP!!! I converted the points to a pertronix ignition with a flame thrower 2 coil. It's ran fine for about a year til now. Talked to a marine mechanic and he thought to check the grounding of the distributor. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BKH

Cadet
Update,
Took it in to a dealer and they found a block in wiring harness was shorted out.All better now!

MRS

Commander
Glad you got it figured out, so was it a bare wire?

BKH

Cadet
No something inside the block shorted out.I asked if it was a fuse block and he said no that it was more like a junction box in the wiring harness where they join wires together!

MRS

Commander
Thanks for the reply glad you are running again. Good to know where to look if it happens to others...:fish2: