1984 OMC shift problem

Simmity

Cadet
Hi Guys,
I got my boat out and working in the water yesterday.
Well was working, lol, for the first hour.
was working fine, top speed 35 miles, (120hp), not bad.
Then I got this problem, when I stopped for a few mins, then tried to go in to gear, nothing happened.
I couldn't go forward, but able to go reverse.
after trying it, a few times over, then it wouldn't go into reverse either.
any ideas?
Thanx,

southkogs

Staff member
Shift cable? '84 should be Mechanical shift, and I would start by checking out that cable. I'm not sure how the remote/throttle worked on those, but that's a place to look too.

Simmity

Cadet
does anyone know the part number for 1984 omc 400 upper and lower seal kits?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
You are not very descriptive. Did your shift lever move as normal? Did the engine rev as normal? If so. It might be your water pump shaft is stripped. Not likely that it has anything to do with a seal kit.

dshakhba

Cadet
I had the same issue. Was my shift cable. you need to adjust it. move your throttle to forward gear and not which direction the shifter is moving. should be on the left side of the engine. then adjust it by rotating the knob until it smoothly shifts both forward and back. There is a sweet spot. see this image:

http://www.midnight-wolf.com/images/1.jpg

you dont need the tool, just make sure the center of the mount hole is 6.5" drom the center of the knob and you should shift fine. Goodl uck.

dshakhba

Cadet
Also, my tachmometer shows about 200 less than it actually is. So I set my neutral idle at 1000-1100 rpms so that I shift around 800. Make sure it is not too low or high.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I had the same issue. Was my shift cable. you need to adjust it. move your throttle to forward gear and not which direction the shifter is moving. should be on the left side of the engine. then adjust it by rotating the knob until it smoothly shifts both forward and back. There is a sweet spot. see this image:

http://www.midnight-wolf.com/images/1.jpg

you dont need the tool, just make sure the center of the mount hole is 6.5" drom the center of the knob and you should shift fine. Goodl uck.
OP has a stringer drive.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If its your shift cable, that is a bit more than half a BOAT unit. If its your splines on the driveshaft, its going to be almost a BOAT unit. I'm going to lean toward the stripped out splines as more likely than broken shift cable.