93 OMC 5.8L EFI exhaust flaps

Josh_LeClair

Recruit
Hello everyone , picked up my first boat and I am doing a tune up and repair. After taking a torn exhaust bellow off , I noticed it's missing the flap to keep water from rushing into the engine. I got new ones and started to install but I can't seem to find an orientation where the flap actually makes a complete seal ? I have it so that the water will close it but there is a finger width gap on the one side . Is this normal or should it sit tight 360 degrees when fully closed ? I assumed it needed the small gap to keep the engine from stalling out at idle . Any insight would be appreciated

Thanks you
Josh

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

Sorry someone hasn't responded by now!

It really helps if you post your model number since 1993 had several models and although the Y-pipe "seals" are the same for many years, you might have gotten the wrong ones.

If I remember correctly, those seals did close a little tighter than "finger-gap" Also, do they look like the picture below? (#51)

Now, having said that, Volvo Penta did delete the exhaust seals in later years (SX drives) because they decided that they were really needed.

Regards,

Rick

OMCexhaust_zpsz7ij3xzf.jpg