1987 Twin OMC 4.3/cobra outdrives

diverpat

Cadet
Hello all, I would like to swap the cobras to the SX drives Volvo did. I have a 1997 striper with the SX drive and I have no issues with shifting. The 1987 Sea Ray with the twin Cobras always have problems with engine quitting when shifting and I have them adjusted and they work for awhile and the go out again. Can I swap out the cobras for the SX. What are the problems I would have , anything extra I would have to get...etc, any help would be appreciated.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Hello all, I would like to swap the cobras to the SX drives Volvo did. I have a 1997 striper with the SX drive and I have no issues with shifting. The 1987 Sea Ray with the twin Cobras always have problems with engine quitting when shifting and I have them adjusted and they work for awhile and the go out again. Can I swap out the cobras for the SX. What are the problems I would have , anything extra I would have to get...etc, any help would be appreciated.
Howdy,

Well, yes........sort of. The Volvo Penta SX drives and transom mounts will bolt right into your cut outs. You would also need the Volvo flywheel housings and raw water pumps (engine mounted)

You cannot just bolt SX drives directly to your existing dog-clutch Cobra transom mounts without modifications.......there are "kits" but I don't know if they're still available.............and they were never "cheap"

Another really good choice is to go to SEI drives. They come with a 3 year warranty and 2 of them are cheaper than 1 SX!!

http://www.sterndrive.cc/product/Fits-Mercruiser-Gen-II-Cobra-Conversion-Kit.html

If I owned your boat (and couldn't part with it!!) , I would either be doing the SEI conversion or finding a donor boat(s) with Mercruiser engines and drives to swap. About 10 years ago, I removed my (1987) 460 King Cobra and replaced it with a complete 454/Bravo package. (and sold all the Kobra stuff)

If it had been a "reg'r" Cobra, I would have done the SEI conversion!

Cheers,

Rick

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If the Cobra stalls when shifting?? It could be the bellcrank and linkage needs cleaning?