Oil coming out of drain hole

kokajohn

Cadet
I just got back from fishing today and after pulling the drain plug and driving home about 20 miles. I noticed some oil on the carport floor after about 8 hours,not a lot but enough to raise my curiosity. I have a 19ft Bayliner Capri with a 3L inboard and an OMC Cobra stern Drive. Any suggestions.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
kokajohn;n10055189 I noticed some oil on the carport floor after about 8 hours said:
Howdy,

Welcome aboard.......Well, it's sort of difficult not to be a little snarky!

But I'd say you have a leak......... It depends on what kind of oil it is. Engine, power steering (if equipped), trim pump or drive oil (if it didn't really come out of the bilge drain).

If it's the engine or trim pump leaking, you'll need to clean the engine and everything in the engine compartment and start looking to see where it's leaking. It's not abnormal to have minor engine leaks in 30 year old engines.

I'll assume that you check your oil frequently and it's NOT using huge amounts of oil during normal running. You should fix any trim system leaks though. The trim pump reservoir doesn't hold all that much fluid.

Cheers,

Rick

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Year?
GM oil pans were famous for rusting and leaking a bit of oil into the bilge.
The filter could also rot away and leak.
The drive, check the oil level, front seal could be leaking.
Color? 3L usually didn't have power steering.

Flashlight and a mirror. Good luck hunting.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
lay out some white paper towels or something in the bilge , see if you can find a drip or 2 on it after a few days to help narrow it down.