89 omc cobra 5.7 shift cable in a four winns 245 vista

dan0688

Cadet
I have an 89 4 winns with an omc cobra drive and a 5.7 engine, i purchased this boat with the engine not in it, i replaced the gimble housing and most things attached to it, i have tried routing the cable a couple of different ways but it seems as if too short, very steep bend at the shift plate, i removed the old cable tonight with plans to install a new one, i can not get the new cable to push through the shift cable hose, im hoping that someone has a routing diagram or can take a few pictures of the one in there boat for me, iv tried routing it how i precieve the manual wants me too, but maybe im comprehending it wrong.

thanks

alldodge

Staff member
I have an 89 4 winns with an omc cobra drive and a 5.7 engine, i purchased this boat with the engine not in it, i replaced the gimble housing and most things attached to it, i have tried routing the cable a couple of different ways but it seems as if too short, very steep bend at the shift plate, i removed the old cable tonight with plans to install a new one, i can not get the new cable to push through the shift cable hose, im hoping that someone has a routing diagram or can take a few pictures of the one in there boat for me, iv tried routing it how i precieve the manual wants me too, but maybe im comprehending it wrong.

thanks

Howdy

Looks like a lot of folks have looked at your thread but no answers yet. I'm not an OMC guy but found a thread and a good link discussing your issue. Hope this can add some clarity
http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...53034-omc-cobra-shift-cable-adjustment-manual

dan0688

Cadet
Thanks alldodge, I've already read both of those, i have the tools necessary to do the cable adjustment, my concern is how the hose that the cable runs through is routed as i think its incorrect and im not sure how to route it, there is some slight mention of it in the service manual but the photo is horrible and i don't completely follow the verbage.

southkogs

Staff member
^^^ been hoping the same thing sans-Southkogs :) I don't know the Cobras at all. Still trying to learn the Merc I just got.

If it was a Stringer I could do a little lookin'.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Putting some dishwashing liquid into the hose will do wonders.

You don't need that corrugated sleeve on the outside of the shift cable if you are trying to use it.

dan0688

Cadet
I will try some dish washing liquid to get the cable in the hose, however my main concern is that i have the hose for the cable routed wrong, it seems as if the cable is too short, like i said a very steep curve at the shift housing, so steep in fact that it bent the end of the original cable (the threaded/ plastic sleeve portion) and was very difficult to shift into reverse (went into drive fine) I have experience with mercruisers and stringer drives, but this is my first cobra.

thanks guys

dan0688

Cadet
Can someone with a 5.7 and a cobra (or probably any v8) take a picture of the routing of there shift cable / cable house for me it would be much appreciated as i still don't think its right, thanks

MRS

Commander
Dan did the photos help you? Hope they did let us know how it worked out for you.

dan0688

Cadet
yes they were very helpful to me, ​UNFORUNATLY it confirmed what I thought, I need to remove the motor to re route the cable, I also need to find a leak, so in the spring ill pull the engine, and check for the leak and re route the cable

MRS

Commander
Mine is in right but I also have a leak will take boat out one more time and run with engine cover open to see where it is leaking. I did have a lot of water in the bildge area never had it before so thinking y pipe connection area if so motor out for me to...:grumpy:

dan0688

Cadet
to anyone wondering... i pulled the engine today and found the leak and the cable routing related, hose was melted through and leaking water into boat

dan0688

Cadet
It was actually pretty obvious once i got the engine out, I dipped it in the lake and the water came in at a descent rate, hoping to put the engine back in this weekend, Just in time for some more cold weather.