omc 2.3l problem, need some direction

bweight

Recruit
first off, just want to say that although this is my first post on the forums, I've been a member for a while and reading these forums much longer. the amount of useful information I've gathered from here has been great. with that said, I'll move on to my issue.

I've got an 89 bayliner capri with the aforementioned omc cobra 2.3l motor. it's been acting up for a while and we finally got it going correctly earlier this summer. about 3 weeks ago it started spitting while accelerating and wouldn't top out on speed anymore. we pulled the plugs and #1 was missing the electrode. the tip was still there but the electrode was gone. so I replaced all 4 plugs anyway and tried to see if it ran any better (yes, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the best move, but it is what it is I guess). anyways, to make a long story short, cylinders 2 thru 4 are pumping out 150psi, while 1 is only putting out about 35psi.. so now I've got a dilemma...

do I pull the motor out and rebuild it? or do I look for a suitable alternative from the Internet or local junk yard for a 2.3l out of a ford ranger up to a '94?

or do I go a completely different direction and drop in a 3.0l or 2.5l?

now, I've got a line on a 2.5l out of an 86. won't be too much to purchase from th guy to be quite honest, but what modifications will I have to make in the bilge for the motor to mount since the mounts are different? will the 2.5 bolt directly into my cobra out drive without any thing else needed (out drive says 3.0 omc in it)?

is the 2.5 worth going with? speed isn't an issue, but I would like it to be relatively close to what I can get out of the 2.3....

sorry if the post is a little long winded for my first one. I don't want to scrap the boat, because honestly, although it needs seats re-done,etc, it still floats. and from my vantage point, what else do you need in a boat?

could some of the experts here please help me with my decision, as I am at a crossroads here and can't quite figure out what to do.

thanks,

Brian Weight

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Brian,..... Is the drive on the 2.5l a Cobra, or a Stringer,..??

If a Cobra, ya oughta be able to swap it into yer boat, with enough of the parts from the 2.5l like the coupler, 'n flywheel cover, etc...

Sounds like yer 2.3l died from detonation, probably from a lean condition,....

Fix the fuel delivery issue, before ya smoke yer new motor,....

bweight

Recruit
thanks for the suggestions/input bondo , it's much appreciated... is the 2.5 a worthy motor? or is it gonna be an underperformer? as for the engine mounts, will that be a major hurdle or like I was asking, should I just pull the motor and depending on the damage, just rebuild it?

I'm planning on pulling the boat for the season within the next few weeks but still have no idea which direction I should go....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... The 2.5l is more motor than yer 2.3l, 'n it's a Chevy,.....

Ya didn't say, is it set up for the Cobra,..??

If for a Stringer, it's of no use to you,....

The motor mount is some plywood, resin 'n fiberglass,.... alittle grindin', 'n slap it in,...

No big deal,...

bweight

Recruit
Yeah the out drive is a cobra. AFAIK. ... the stamp on the side of the drive says cobra 3.0 on it... sorry, boats at camp right now and I'm not unfortunately. .. I can post the model number of the gimbal (can't see the stamp on the drive cause its it's the water) :)

bweight

Recruit
oh crap. I completely missed what you were asking... I'll have to check with the guy who has the 2.5 if it's on a stringer or cobra... my bad. he sent me a pic of the model and serial plate from the drive.

the numbers are:
t0427242

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Before you spend 5cents.
Pull the head. You just might have a bad valve.