Rust in carburetor

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
It turns out my starting problems probably aren't from the choke. I took the carburetor apart, and found rust in the float bowl and fuel intake. There is already a water fuel separator installed, and I don't see any other fuel filters in the line. I want to add in line fuel filters in front of and behind the water separator, but I don't know if this will restrict the flow too much. What do you guys think?

ojotaylor

Seaman Apprentice
Clean that sucker out real good with some carb cleaner and a wire brush...be careful with that wire brush and get you a rebuild kit while you're at it if you already haven't. I rebuilt mine last week and it looked the same. Runs like a champ now.

Bondo

Staff member
I want to add in line fuel filters in front of and behind the water separator,

Ayuh,.... Don't do that, the separator IS a filter,...

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
It turns out my starting problems probably aren't from the choke. I took the carburetor apart, and found rust in the float bowl and fuel intake. There is already a water fuel separator installed, and I don't see any other fuel filters in the line. I want to add in line fuel filters in front of and behind the water separator, but I don't know if this will restrict the flow too much. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• photo229302.jpg
    photo229302.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229302.jpg
    photo229302.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229303.jpg
    photo229303.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229303.jpg
    photo229303.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The separator is a water separator and fuel filter in one. Extra fuel filters won't really help. Who knows how long the crud has been in the carb? It's just time to clean the carb thoroughly and rebuild it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Quit postin' in multiple forums, I've answered this post Twice, 'n here it is again,.....

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know the fuel water separator is filter, but rust got in the carburetor none the less. The reason I want to put clear in-line fuel filters on either side isn't just to filter, but to see where the rust is building up. I have seen videos and other threads of the fuel/water separator filter rusting, so I want to know if the rust is coming from my gas tank or the separator. My questions isn't whether or not to add additional filtration, it's if, and how much this will restrict the flow of fuel. That would be the only reason I could see to not adding the filters. If there are any other reasons, I would like to hear them.

Bondo

Staff member
I have seen videos and other threads of the fuel/water separator filter rusting, so I want to know if the rust is coming from my gas tank or the separator.

Ayuh,.... The filter canisters rust, because the filters aren't changed at useful intervals,....
It should be done, Atleast once a year,...

It the tank is rusted, ya need a new tank,...