Simple overheating question... I think

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ford 302 V8 1974 OMC 190hp Stringer.... Replaced the thermostat last year, and that fixed an intermittent overheating problem. I replaced the impeller this winter, just 'cause that's the right thing to do. She ran like a dream until today. The temp shot strait up to pegging the temp gauge. I ran it back to dock in short bursts as to not damage anything, and it happened every time. Got it home, and it ran perfect off of a hose. Logic tells me that the water pressure from the hose is acting as a water pump, so the thermostat is not clogged/faulty. That leads me to believe the impeller or water pump is bad. Sound right?

I had to have my boat decontaminated at the ranger station because one of our local lakes turned out to have water fleas. When they flushed my motor, I think his Hotsy machine was not working properly, thus not pumping enough water through the outdrive. That is the only reason I would suspect the impeller. Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Sounds like you may have found the problem. It was fine till someone else did something.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I tore the outdrive off, should have some answers later tonight. I've followed some complex overheating threads on this site a few times. I hope my problems are obvious. It'd be pretty upsetting if that state employee caused the damage. Thanks for the response, I'll post my findings tomorrow.

southkogs

Staff member
Sounds like an impeller issue ...

And yes, on a hose the water pressure will act for the impeller on the Stringer. Your pushing water down to the impeller and up to the engine on the hose.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
So yeah, the impeller came out in 5 pieces. When I ordered a new one from my parts/mechanic guy, he mentioned that very same thing happened to another one of his clients on another local lake. That's a bunch of crap if you ask me. That's our government taken' care of us! Not only did he fry my impeller, he obviously didn't flush my motor correctly, exposing a clean lake to water fleas.:frusty: Okay, I'm done (As he steps off his soap box and walks away)