1984 Stringer 800 tilt switch issues.

madolive3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
84 Century 3000. I have simple toggle switch for raising and lowering the out drive. If I just throw the switch the drive slams pretty hard into position, so I have to finness the switch to prevent this. Is there a different switch type, or circuit type I can install. I don't think it was engineerd like this.
also a dash mounted up or down indicator would be nice.
Thanks again

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its supposed to slam into position. press down....should sound like...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..thunk

that drive should only be operated in the down position

the trim is a completely different setting on the drive, and you should have a gauge for that.

madolive3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, yes My trim gauge works and I Know that trim and tilt are different. So you are saying that I shouldn't worry about how fast the outdrive moves up or down? The thunk-slam is normal? I can just throw the switch and leave it? If that's the case then good, one less thing I have to fix. Thanks...Bill

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, its normal. Your switch should be momentay

southkogs

Staff member
On my Stringer, I'll hit down and hold it until it "thunks" into place sometimes. But most of the time on down and ALL of the time on up, I bump the switch. About three "bumps" will move the drive at a pace that I like.

Your switch is probably working fine.