Power Steering Problem

84hammond

Recruit
Need a little help. Changed out all my PS hoses. As I was trying to bleed the system (turning wheel lock to lock) all of a sudden the wheel all but froze up. I thought maybe air got in the line but didnt know what to do next. I could still turn the wheel but it takes alot of effort. So I decided to pull the coil wire and crank it over a few times in hopes of getting any air out. As the engine is turning over the steering wheel is turning from one side to the next. tried to hold it back but was pretty hard to do one handed. Would air cause this to happen? The small hoses that go from the actuator to the steering ram do they need to be attached in a certain order? I raised the tilt up to see the outdrive as I maually turn the wheel and it takes a sec or two for the drive to catch up. What do you think happened?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Whatcha workin' on,..??

Which hoses did ya change,..??

Did ya put 'em back, Exactly where they came from,..??

84hammond

Recruit
Thanks Bondo.Its a omc 350 stringer. First I changed just the hoses from the pump to the cooler to the actuator (maybe thats not the right name for it). Then I noticed when it was running that the small hoses from "actuator" to steering ram were leaking. I tore all that apart back there and got new hoses and reinstalled everything. Like I said previously things were fine while adding fluid but then the wheel all but locked up. Im thinking I have the two hoses from the ram crossed. Or theres air causing that or by chance my steering cable went south. Tried taking the bar from the ram to the cable off but it feels all bound up and hard to remove like the cable has a twist to it now. Was hoping someone has replaced these and can tell me whats going on.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Stringers are odd units,... Never seen how they put P/S on 'em,....

Don't think it's like the same P/S units used by everybodyelse,....

Post a picture of what yer workin' on,....