5.8 cooling hose question

Coming from thermostat housing on starboard side I have the main hose going to the water pump, one hose going into the exhaust and one that routes under the exhaust. Where does the one going under the exhaust go to? What is its function?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Coming from thermostat housing on starboard side I have the main hose going to the water pump, one hose going into the exhaust and one that routes under the exhaust. Where does the one going under the exhaust go to? What is its function?

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

It will be quite helpful if you post your model number. There were several years that OMC used the 5.8L Ford engine with more than one type of drive.

Also, you'll probably need to be a bit more specific. When you say water pump, you need to indicate which one. (I.E. Raw water pump, circulating water pump) Depending on the year model, The raw water pump could be on the engine or in the drive.

If you're going to do your own maintenance, it would be a pretty good idea to obtain an OEM Service Manual too. (NOT Seloc or Clymer)

Pictures will also help.

Regards,

Rick

Thank you for your response. It is going to the power steering cooler. Is the cooler nessecery or can it be safely bypassed?

Or better yet do you know what the cooler is made out of? If metal I can just rig it back together.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Evidently it's leaking? You should not eliminate it. They're usually made out of copper. GTAW is usually not a good way to repair copper. You can sometimes solder it though once you find out where it's leaking.

Bondo

Staff member
Thank you for your response. It is going to the power steering cooler. Is the cooler nessecery or can it be safely bypassed?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... That's the in-comin' water line from the raw water pump,....

If the P/S cooler is leakin', pull it, 'n solder it back together, it probably wasn't drained, 'n froze,...
Don't eliminate it or the P/S pump will burn up,...