Sterndrive

Ooga68

Recruit
I have just purchased what is suppose to be a Gm 120 ho 2.5 liter, It had set up for 2 years , I have owners manual and repair manual that starts at 1986 2.5 gm. The outdrive has gears that are used to trim . I cannot find a manual or information on this type outdrive, I believe it is a 400 or 800 series. While removing outdrive parts to check what I could the outdrive slipped down and I can not get it to comeback up properly, . Can anyone help , Is there a manual that can help me? the pontoon say it is and 86 and the model on the outdrive say 86 . Can I get the outdrive back in place without tearing the whole unit off. If pictures would help I can supply

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

An '86 could be either a Cobra or a Stringer. Sounds to me like you have the manual for a Cobra and a Stringer drive, but I can't tell ya' for sure without pictures. You can also check on the engine and see if there's a tag on it (mine was on the starboard side to the rear) ... that tag will have a number to identify what you have.

If it's a Stringer, it's a Mechanical Shift 400 series (most likely). To reinstall the drive, set the quadrant gear on the tilt gear. Rock the drive up and into place (really helps to have 2 people for this, but I can do it alone), and bolt the trunion stays back on. If you dropped the drive while the shift cable was connected, then you may have some additional complications ... I don't know much about that cable aside from the fact that it's expensive.

You'll need two more posts before you can post photos, but there's a tutorial HERE.

Ooga68

Recruit
Thanks for your prompt reply, There is a model number on the starboard upper part of the out drive . model 983486 ,on top of the outdrive it says OMC drive system. I had removed the caps??? that bolt on what I think you are calling the trunion ,2 round knobs and I removed the cover where the dip stick is located, It only dropped about 3/4 " ,later with someone helping it came down (easily) we rocked it back and fort and it came back up but now it will not shift and it will not turn as in steering. From what I have read ,it is a 400 series and probably an 85,The manual I down loaded does not go down to the 983468 and when I add the serial number ,it says it can find that number. In order to get it back in position will the shifter have to be in neutral. I will post this because I keep getting message that says invalid server response

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are describing a stringer drive.

FYI - the 2.5 is not an HO nothing high outbut about it.

your tilt motor probably needs to be removed, brushes and contacts cleaned at a minimum.

my recommendation at this time is to have someone familiar with the stringer 400 help you. if you damage that shift cable you will be crying. if you can find them, they are over $500

Last edited:

Ooga68

Recruit
That HO was a typo , I meant HP.. The trim motor is sitting down in the transom on the port side , does it just unbolt and pull straight out,? I'm thinking of taking it to a marine mechanic and let him work on it. Should I remove the entire outdive and take it to him or just leave it attached and take boat ,,,motor ,,and all to him?

southkogs

Staff member
There is a model number on the starboard upper part of the out drive . model 983486
That's the part number for the upper gear case I think. Weird to me that they did that, but that tag isn't the model number.

I had removed the caps??? that bolt on what I think you are calling the trunion ,2 round knobs and I removed the cover where the dip stick is located, It only dropped about 3/4 " ,later with someone helping it came down (easily) we rocked it back and fort and it came back up but now it will not shift and it will not turn as in steering.
I think you're currently stressing your shift cable - don't know that for sure, but you're removing the drive incorrectly. Support the entire drive from below. You'll need a manual to walk you through disconnecting the shift cable, and probably your steering (I'm assuming you have tru-course steering). With those pieces all disconnected, the pivot caps (on each side where the drive tilts up and down) need to be removed. After they are removed, then you can remove the 4 bolts holding the drive to the intermediate housing - again, each side where the drive tilts up and down. Once you've removed those that drive is free to remove from the boat.

Again - mind your shift cable. You probably don't want to pay to replace it.

Since you dropped the drive from the top cap, you've offset the steering gear and something in the shift (sorry, I'm just not familiar with your shift system).

From what I have read ,it is a 400 series and probably an 85,The manual I down loaded does not go down to the 983468 and when I add the serial number ,it says it can find that number. In order to get it back in position will the shifter have to be in neutral. I will post this because I keep getting message that says invalid server response
120HP OMC is a Stringer 400 Mechanical Shift. Go by year and HP to read your manual. However, the manual you were describing seemed only to have Cobra drives in it. On your engine - not sure where, mine is on the starboard side toward the rear - you'll find a tag with a model number on it. That's your best ID on a Stringer.