302 omc with cobra outdrive

grizzreaper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello again everyone, i have a 302 omc in a 1988 bayliner capri. awhile i was having problems with the power, i have that fixed. thanks for everyone for all your help. i went to change the the thermostat and found there was none. i put the new one in with the gasket. no leaks when i put the muffs on. two weeks ago my wife and i were out fishing and when i pulled the drain plug, no bilge wasnt on auto water poured out. alot of water, we were out for 5 hrs trolling around. i thought it was because i drilled a new hole for a paddle wheel on my humminbird. so i filled all the holes with silicone from the inside and out. today i went out and put the bilge on auto. i let the motor warm up. idled out of marina and i put it it up 3500 rpms then after a bit not sure how long i seen water pissing out of the bilge spout.i shut the motor off n pulled cover. once again there is water. i noticed the motor was steaming a bit by manifold.so i started the motor back up n watched for a leak. once i put it in gear sure enough it started leaking. not sure exactly where but my friend said looks like the gasket by manifold or frost plug. had no water leaks before i changed the thermostat. boggled. also i came to find out i have no reverse. it just reeves. when i pulled my boat last time i made a rookie mistake and dragged my stern drive. no damage i can see to skeg except a scrap n no paint. did i break a rod, pin. is it a easy fix or is it a ohoh. thanks in advance for all and any help

Bondo

Staff member
sure enough it started leaking. not sure exactly where but my friend said looks like the gasket by manifold or frost plug. had no water leaks before i changed the thermostat. boggled

Ayuh,..... But if you don't tell Us, Exactly where it's leakin' from, We really can't tell ya how to fix it,....

Run it, 'n take pictures, 'n Id, Exactly where it's leakin',....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
wow nothing about the reverse.

Try breaking up your LONG run-on into smaller separate paragraphs and it'll be a little easier to read.

also i came to find out i have no reverse. it just reeves.
Probably not a lot of us here knows what "reeves" is.......
(Maybe the late actor? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Reeves )

It's also helpful if you tell us what MODEL engine/drive package you have. The boat year model is not all that useful.
But being a dog-clutch Cobra, not going into reverse points to a lower shift cable or shift plate problem.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I think he meant REVS.
Sounds like the shift mechanism needs cleaning.
Crud builds up around the bellcrank and binds the cable.

Post about the leak.

grizzreaper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so to answer the problem. i took off the manifold and took a flapper wheel to the side where i seen it leaking. i found a crack from where it wasnt winterized properly. so that small(big) problem is now fixed. as for my "revs" looks more like short form for reverse but that problem has been corrected also. seems the nice shift cable decided to break. but i now see what the boat actually stands for. bet on another thousand. but for those who tried to help i thank you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for coming back to post results.

As for boat, yes - Break Out Another Thousand. Or one BOAT unit is $1000.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
ok so to answer the problem. i took off the manifold and took a flapper wheel to the side where i seen it leaking. i found a crack from where it wasnt winterized properly.

Thanks for reporting back! We always want to know how it turns out no matter how long it takes........Someone out there in Radio Land might have the same problem.

Please accept apologies for the "mild" criticism and sarcasm!!

Many people come on here looking for help and because they don't reveal what they're working on, don't accurately describe what the problem actually is or the spelling is SO BAD we cannot figure out exactly what they're asking for!!!!.......some of us can get a little.....shall we say testy? WE REALLY ARE TRYING TO HELP......REALLY!! (my spelling ain't all that good either!!)

So for everyone out there, please let me suggest trying Firefox and one of the spell checkers.
(If you're using Linux, you already have one built right in)

For Windoes, :rolleyes:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/united-states-english-spellche/

Or, if you insist on using IE http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...-ie10-spelling-correction-enable-disable.html

Understand that MS will replace IE with EDGE (eventually I presume)

If you're using a MAC, (that's a truck, right?) I think it's already built in too (like Linux!)

Cheers,

Rick