Information needed on the removal of shift cable

Hello, thanks in advance for any help.
I have searched and read until my head hurts but cannot find the info I need. I have an 89 bay liner 5.8 Capri. I have unhooked the shift cable from the carb , removed the out drive and then removed the nut and bolt from the plastic guide. I also pulled the rubber liner that the cable is in out from the steering components and laid it out beside the engine for a straight shot to pull. Problem is it won't come out. I see what looks to be a brass nut if I raise the pivot housing that's connected to the cable, does that need to come off and if so is there a trick to removing it because a wrench really has no room.

cionjay

Seaman
  1. Disconnect transom bracket shift cable at the engine
  2. Loosen both set screws on the black plastic end (engine side) and remove the casing guide
  3. Loosen the lock nut and unscrew the casing guide jacket from the shift cable
  4. Cut the two tie straps securing the boot to the end of the cable sleeve inside the boat. Pull the boot off of the sleeve
  5. Pull the split-ring grommet from the end of the boot and take it off of the cable. Slide the boot off of the end of the cable
  6. Remove the vertical drive
  7. Remove the screw and unscrew the retainer at the end of the shift lever
  8. Pull the pivot housing out as far as you can. Loosen the cable retaining nut, then remove the pivot housing
  9. Slide the plastic corrugated casing off the shift cable and pull the cable out of the housing.

cionjay

Seaman
no. just pull it up so you can get access behind it. It may be the tywrap / tie straps in the boot that is stoping the cable from sliding out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
pour some dishwashing liquid inside the hose that the shift cable sits inside. That will help taking the old one out and getting the new one to go back in.