79 omc 225 wont start

FFmedic23

Recruit
Hi all, bought boat, they had it winterized and did not use it last year, I got it put new gas in it (to be safe), changed spark plugs (old ones did not look bad) and new battery... Has spark and points appear to be working, but it just turns over, the carb is putting gas in, and it will try to kick once in a while but still wont start.. Plz help want to get it in the water and not have to paddle.

Thanks in advance..

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you drain the old gas before you put in new gas? Does it fire with starting fluid? Check timing? Also, make sure there are no loose wires on the ignition switch under the dash. Check more than one plug for spark. Is it a Ford 302? Try starting it without the spark arrestor? Might want to replace the points just because they are known to have issues...

FFmedic23

Recruit
yes did drain old gas first, with starting fluid it will "kick" a couple times but no start still, I did check several plugs. Will check wires.. I am not sure if it's a ford or what... The distributor is in the back of the motor if that helps... (my buddy said that made it a chevy I believe, but can't remember for sure) I will try it with out the spark arrestor.. And I will try points too.. Thank You for your assistance..

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

On the engine there should be a number somewhere (mine is on the starboard side toward the rear on the motor mount) that should read something like 990254D 1978. That'll tell ya' exactly what you have. I don't think they rated the '79 as a 225HP, so you might have a '78 drive in there (not unusual).

Have you tried starting with the stern drive removed? What do your gear lubes look like in the stern drive? If the upper unit is gummed up on the drive, that could cause you problems.

FFmedic23

Recruit
Yes model number is 990255D, After some more research I see the spark is weak... could cap and rotor be bad? or would that be the points? my buddy says he has an electronic distributor to give me to put in it.. is that something that will work? I think if I can get the spark fixed it will run

southkogs

Staff member
I've left the old distributor in mine. I'm not real good with those sorts of things, but I did clean mine out and a couple years back and rebuilt it. It took me a while to set it (I'm pretty lousy at that kind of thing), but it's worked fine ever since.

Several others have swapped over to an electronic distributor, but I'm not sure if there's any real advantage.