1969 Buick V6 225 "Odd Fire" stove pipe connection location Rochester 2bbl carburetor

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
1969 Buick V6 225 "Odd Fire" stove pipe connection location Rochester 2bbl carburetor

I have a 1969 Glasply with a '69 Buick 225 and a Volvo outdrive that I inherited. It runs well while cold, but is hard to start when hot. After running through all of the electrical, I started on the fuel system. I discovered the stove pipe that controls my automatic choke isn't connected to anything. This makes sense for my symptoms, but I can't find where this is supposed to connect. I've looked all over the intake manifold, and can't find any place where this should connect. I know I could convert to a manual choke, but I want to keep this running as designed. Does anybody know where the stove pipe connects on the engine side for a 1969 Buick 225 Dauntless "Odd Fire" with a Rochester 2 barrel carburetor? The attached images show the insulated pipe coming out of the carburetor and the cut off end that I can't find the engine connection location.

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1969 Glasply with a Buick 225 that I inherited that runs well while cold, but is hard to start when hot. After running through all of the electrical, I started on the fuel system. I discovered the stove pipe that controls my automatic choke isn't connected to anything. This makes sense for my symptoms, but I can't find where this is supposed to connect. I've looked all over the intake manifold, and can't find any place where this should connect. I know I could convert to a manual choke, but I want to keep this running as designed. Does anybody know where the stove pipe connects on the engine side for a 1969 Buick 225 Dauntless "Odd Fire" with a Rochester 2 barrel carburetor? The attached images show the insulated pipe coming out of the carburetor and the cut off end that I can't find the engine connection location.

Attachments

• photo227258.jpg
    photo227258.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo227258.jpg
    photo227258.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo227259.jpg
    photo227259.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo227259.jpg
    photo227259.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If it's the part I'm thinking it is???
There should be a hole in the stbd side of the manifold next to the carb.
More pics?
The first one didn't expand so I couldn't see anything.

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
image_227164.jpg
Is the whole supposed to be in the intake manifold, or part of the exhaust?
Also, do you know what the hole should look like i.e. just a hole, some kind of connector, a nipple...?
I will try to get more pics posted tonight.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Not a clue,.... Convert it to electric,....

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Is that a marine carb or auto ?

I had an old ford truck with that set up and the tube connects to the exhaust manifold to heat it up

I bet you have a carb from a car , get rid of it . Its not safe

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Yeah, I'm just a couple years past yours and I can't find anything about that kind of line ...

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is that a marine carb or auto ?

I had an old ford truck with that set up and the tube connects to the exhaust manifold to heat it up

I bet you have a carb from a car , get rid of it . Its not safe

How do I tell if it is a car or marine carb? Does the stamp on the starboard side tell me?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I'm not sure how these were run on that engine but I had a '70 Ford with a 302 2 bbl Autolite and the choke stove pipe hooked up to the exhaust manifold. But with a water cooled exhaust I bet it would not get hot enough. Some GM engines put a pipe in the exhaust crossover in the intake manifold. Gotta dig up an old manual, maybe I can find it in my Chiltons 70-77 manual...

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
Though this is a Buick engine, they were used in Jeep CJ-5s from about 1965-1976. I have a Chilton's manual for the 1945-1987 Jeeps, but there isn't as much detail as I'd like because there's about 6 different engines that were used during the period. It doesn't show where the pipe connects, but I'm thinking it probably does go to the intake manifold somewhere.

I've been trying to find a manual for this marine engine, but I don't know where to look.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
How do I tell if it is a car or marine carb? Does the stamp on the starboard side tell me?

Does the carb have some vacuum lines that are capped off ? I would think that would be an indicator, boat carbs dont have all of the vacuum lines. Also you can find the original part number for the carb in a manual and see if the previous owner has swapped it.

http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=7d970a26-7415-4f6f-bc82-da9d14d79b5e

cuz yeah , those stove type tubes are meant to be warmed from the exhaust manifolds in cars , and in a boat the manifolds are water cooled . So I am betting that someone just swapped that carb in from a vehicle.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull the spark arrestor off the carb and take a photo. if the carb float vent tube is a J-tube that returns back over the throttle plates, then it is most likely a marine motor. if the carb float vent tube is a short vertical tube (probably cut off at an angle). then it is an automotive carb.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The Buicks in those year ranges did not use an exhaust manifold heated choke stove like the Fords did. They had either the tube inside the exhaust crossover in the intake manifokd or a divorced choke with the thermo spring mounted on the manifold above the ex cross over . The tube inside the intake manifold had to have a vacuum line from the choke housing hooked up to it so it could suck air thu the tube; heating it up and then the warm air would make the choke coil expand and open the choke.

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

It turns out my starting problems probably aren't from the choke. I took the carburetor apart, and found rust in the float bowl and fuel intake. There is already a water fuel separator installed, and I don't see any other fuel filters in the line. I want to add in line fuel filters in front of and behind the water separator, but I don't know if this will restrict the flow too much. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• photo229302.jpg
    photo229302.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229303.jpg
    photo229303.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

It turns out my starting problems probably aren't from the choke. I took the carburetor apart, and found rust in the float bowl and fuel intake. There is already a water fuel separator installed, and I don't see any other fuel filters in the line. I want to add in line fuel filters in front of and behind the water separator, but I don't know if this will restrict the flow too much. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• photo229302.jpg
    photo229302.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229303.jpg
    photo229303.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Try to avoid starting multiple topics in multiple forums about the same problems.

Duplicates your efforts and those that are helping.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
I want to add in line fuel filters in front of and behind the water separator,

Ayuh,.... The separator filter is enough, Don't do that,....

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
Somehow rust got in the carburetor, so possible causes are the separator, the fuel tank, or something else I'm not thinking of. Whatever the case, rust got to the carburetor through the fuel line. I will definitely be installing an in line filter to monitor the rust, but I'm trying to decide where.