OMC Cobra Broken Impeller Shaft

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
I guess time for the new outdrive... after cruising on high rpm on my OMC 2.3 Cobra suddenly engine noise became much louder, and temp gauge went up... After towed to the cottage I noticed that impeller shaft just sheared off, looks like it was cut. Gears did not locked up so the drive is not a complete toast right? Now, is the impeller shaft is part of the yoke shaft or is it separate part?

Also, on another thought, should I look into rebuilding my original or just get another used one?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If you can get a used one do that.
The shaft assy. is $500+ installation :(
You can possibly get some kind of pump in there but finding parts will be tough.
Just look for another drive.
Make sure it's the right ratio.
The 3.0 will work.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That is a big job. I wonder if it would be cheaper to add a crankshaft mounted pump like when you convert an OMC Cobra to a Volvo SX? If the rest of the outdrive is in good shape Id price out that option first; you don't even need to use a pricey Volvo pump any Johnson pump that fits the pulley/damper will work...

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Bullbash that sucks. I'm repowering my 2.3l with a 4.3l mercruiser. I will have tons of available stuff for you. PM me if your interested. We live close to each other.