*ding*...You've got oil

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh the fun never ceases.

While fixing the Fuel tank. I noticed this .. Oil from the seal and top screw(port side only) of the upper unit. I suspect this is a result of when my boat "JUMPED" off the trailer and took a little ride down the highway.

I'd say it's released close to 3 to 4 table spoons If I'd have to guess.

Stock Photo Port side Starboard
upper unit.jpg 20150730_180139.jpg 20150730_180153.jpg

The seam and contact of this joint looks sound to me, of course it's not or there'd be no oil, perhaps the impact jarred the seal?

I have not tried tightening the bolts, I wanted to run it by the group here.

-Pantz

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There are no seals there. I wonder if you cracked the housing. Pull the drive to see where the oil is coming from.

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Bruce,

Thank you, I'm not a mechanic, what housing are you referring to, the bell housing, gimbal housing or other?

Does the lower unit need to come off to ease the re-insertion of the rod?

I don't have an engine crane

-Pantz

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You need to pull off the drive from the pivot housing. The picture with the red drawing is the mating point between the drive and the pivot housing. The only thing with oil in it is the drive itself and there is a leak where you can not see it while it is attached to that pivot housing.

You pull of the whole drive. You do not separate the lower and upper gear housings to do that.

You don't need an engine crane, it isn't that heavy. Helps to have a drive stand though. I made one but have also done it without but it normally would require 2 people to take it off and install it without a stand.

Last edited:

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bruce

thanks again for the response. We had the boat out yesterday. The boat seems to be running normal and fluid levels don't appear affected.There is no more oil visible at this junction point either. ..

I checked the engine oil, same level.I checked the gear lube. It's right at the line level on the dipstick.

I don't know what gear lube color/texture looks or should feel, but I took out a little and put it on my finger. The best way to describe it would be slightly oily clear grease. It was a little cloudy with very tiny brownish tint/flecks(I mean super tiny like powder).. very hard to describe since I'm not really sure what it's suppsed to look like.

The panic button in me says: it's milky white and these tiny brown flecks is residual of the gears not being lubed sufficiently. Meaning a water infiltration.

I squished the stuff around on my fingers and it's very greasy/cream I would have to desribe it as watered down grease.. so.. yah I can't jump to conclusions not knowing what gear oil is supposed to be like though. I took a picture of it on my fingers but it's meaningless it looks just like clear fluid.

I guess I'll need to put some on a black surface to check.

-Pantz

The oil came from somewhere...Just kind of at loss as to where if my levels are checking out.. Could Trim fluid end up there? What is supposed to be in the pivot housing as far as fluids? I thought just marine grease should be in that section?

Boat still shifts fine..

Last bit of info, with the steering wheel either fully right or left (at low speed), or with the outdrive trimmed up, there is an noticable difference in the sound of the engine and a slight shudder. Higher speed I don't notice it, then again at high speeds I don't turn sharply or have the engine trimmed up.

Have not pulled the drive yet. I will have to replace the gasket after removing the drive correct?

-Pantz

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's all coming together now..

The past few outings we've noticed some very slight oil at the stern when we'd stop to swim....

Then I noticed that fairly large amount of oil around that gasket and the top bolts of the upper unit..

I just bought some gear oil.. it's brownish and not clear and NOT the same color as the gear oil sample I took.

I hope I'm not too late.. it does very much appear to be a water intrusion..

My plan.

1. Remove outdrive
2. Check pivot housing (my book calls this a power head?) for Water.
3. Check components.(look for cracked housing too)
4. Clean and repair if necessary
5. Apply very thin amount of gear oil gasket maker
6. Apply new gasket
7. Reseat the outdrive.

(I'm not a religious man or step 8 would be pray)

Bruce, because of your advice and warnings, I did not go out again.. again I hope I didnt push it too far and this is a recoverable situation..

-more to come..

-Pantz

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You need to pull the drive, drain the gear oil and pressure test the drive to see where it's leaking from. There is a gasket where the drive mates to the pivot housing. There is a kit that has that and the water passage o-ring in it.

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is the o-ring something that is a special order only?

I should drain the oil prior to removing the drive right?

On this 1992 model, I see a drain on the very bottom of the lower unit is that the correct drain?

on this engine is there a difference in lower unit and upper unit oil?

-Pantz

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This is the gasket set Bruce is talking about.
Its purpose is to keep the water out. It has nothing to do with the oil leak you have.
The oil in the drive is self contained, it will make sense once you take it off.
I can have my drive off in less than 5 minutes.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You should get yourself an OEM service manual and/or get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it.

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Bruce, I prefer to learn it myself and I appreciate all the expert advice you've given, I know us novices can be a pain with all our questions.

I've got the seloc manual and reading it nightly, I've already overhauled the entire cabin, replaced the main cabin fuse panel, corrected a blown and corroded circuit breaker, (along with numerous related electrical issues), fixed a bow leak, fixed and replaced the trim sender, laid new fiberglass and gel coat after a massive trailer incident, replaced the gas tank, upgraded the plugs n wires.. all this with the amazing help of this community.

I'm not there yet, but next step is learning the outdrive, which is where I am now.

Idlespeed: pardon my inexperience, and I'll probably understand what you are saying when the drive is off, but there was oil weeping from the upper most bolt on the upper unit one both sides, and that same oil along the gasket of the pivot housing and upper unit. The gasket should keep water out and the gear oil in.. no? are you saying the gears in the upper unit are also completely self contained in the upper unit?

I've checked around for a cutaway diagram or something similar like a cross section that can explain the mechanics of stern drive after the main drive shaft.. got any suggestions? I'm going to order that gasket set, it certainly won't hurt to have another set on hand!!

-Pantz

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Gear oil is completely self contained.

You will see when you pull the drive off.

Start reading up on how to pressure test a drive.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...eck-prior-post

Check out post #7

You also want to read up on how to properly fill an OMC Cobra drive. Very likely your Seloc manual has that procedure wrong in it.

Notice how it is filled from the middle and not from the bottom:
oilfill2.jpg

Last edited:

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you so much!!

Yes the seloc manual has it wrong, it states to fill from the top where dipstick is (very slowly lol)

I have a pressure vaccum kit bought one from Bosch, may need to adjust the fittings.

This will make you laugh, I can't get the drain screw out.. I really hope the previous owner didnt do something silly and sealed that screw...or crossthreaded

My screwdriver selection sucks apparently, will send pics as soon as this is out :)

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got your PM, and Its downloading.. and I'm smiling.. that is some good stuff right there.

I'll grab the impact tool tomorrow, the gaskets and o-rings are on the way.

Bruce, I know I was a bit of a pain, but I sincerely thank you very much, especially for the manual.

My toolset is definitely improving!

-Pantz,-

lightning and thunder on the way.. boat stuff on hold

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You may want to make a stand to hold the drive. I made one out of 2x4s but I eventually welded up a better one that I can adjust the height. For many years with my Cobra, I just did without. With my Volvo Duo-prop it's a bit heavier. I got good enough to do it myself but initially, it is a 2 person job. Installation is harder than taking it off assuming there isn't corrosion keeping it from coming apart.

IMG_0729.JPG

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Get the OEM manual. Stop using the Seloc!

Yes, GET AN OEM manual!! You can use the Seloc manual to start your wood stove or something!

Many people have destroyed their Dog-Clutch Cobras by filling them wrong! (Fill ONLY from the middle "FILL" port)

After you fill it and check it with the dipstick resting on the threads, run it a while, let it sit and check it again. This time with the dipstick screwed all the way in. The check with the dipstick on top of the threads is to allow for a slight overfill just in case there's some bubbles that didn't make it to the top immediately.

I removed my King Cobra using a small hoist to support it with an "eye-bolt" into the hole where the dipstick goes.

dscn0664_zpsmt3lgfik.jpg

dscn0663_zpssusk7ama.jpg

Cheers,

Rick

skippy2235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
MOD EDIT - Can't be done in the open forum. Look at the Forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
MOD EDIT - See above.

Last edited by a moderator: