OMC Cobra outdrive replacement - best place to get remanufactured drive

hslobo

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1995 OMC/Volvo joint venture cobra SX outdrive that needs to be replaced. Ive been looking on line and reading up in the forums and heard conflicting reports about different vendors. Can anyone recommend where I might be able to buy a DEPENDABLE replacement drive. What are peoples experiences? Any input is greatly appreciated.

skippy2235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would get rid of the cobra and go with the Mercruiser conversion,
go to www.sterndrive.cc and look at the SEI drives, come with a 3 yr unlimited warranty. Can have the complete package for under $2500

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
No
That will not work on the joint venture Cobra, which is the same as a Volvo SX. No need to search fr the OMC branded version of this drive; just get a Volvo.

hslobo

Seaman Apprentice
Lou, would a Volvo Drive fit my existing set up or is there a conversion kit needed

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you go and look at the parts diagrams on Crowley Marine and Volvoparts you will see that in the same year ranges they are identical. So no conversion kit needed.
While this for sure is a lot more money than the SEI conversion what you have is not a clunky shifting Alpha with a dog clutch it is equivalent to a Merc Bravo drive, which of course is superior and stronger than the Alpha.

hslobo

Seaman Apprentice
YEA I see that Lou, this is a fantastic option I've been hoping I'd find Which particular Volvo models would meet my needs here? Ive emailed Volvo with this question but haven't heard back from them yet. I really appreciate your feedback, you seem to be the most knowledgeable one I've found to date.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
What you need to do if find out from Volvo what model # of the SX out drive were produced in the year of your engine package...