Replacing Throttle Control Please help

bowtech55

Recruit
i have a 92 fourwinns 180 freedom and my throttle control just went out. Its stuck and won't shift forward or into reverse, its seized in neutral
i want to replace the whole throttle control and cables. But don't know how to figure out what the best throttle control is and what works with my setup
any advice is greatly appreciated

motor is a 4.3 omc cobra

I pulled out the throttle control and it has a sticker with the numbers 174931 JQ 11

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: bowtech55 to iboats...

Are you talking about the throttle control or shifter control? Because while you stated throttle, you also stated that the throttle won't go into reverse or forward. So Are you talking about the shift control cable? :noidea:

bowtech55

Recruit
Okay i guess its my shifter control thats seized up

when i pulled it out the shift control i checked the cables, pushed and pulled on them and they seem to work with ease
not sure if i should still replace them while I'm at it?

this isn't my video but this is exactly what what shifter control looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQgYQtqM-2E

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay if your control seems to work fine when it is disconnected, then there is nothing to gain by replacing it to solve your problem. If you just want to replace the cable(s) because you think they are worn, then go for it. It won't hurt, but that isn't your problem either... Find out what is making the shifting so stiff and difficult and fix that...

bowtech55

Recruit
It's defiantly the shift controlerthat is the problem
It's removed from the boat and still seized up
I mean after all it's 23 years old
So my question is
How do I know which throttle control to buy so it will link up to my current cables?
Or which control and cable combo should I get to should replace it all?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What type control do you have? Side flush mount?

OMC cables have that round piece at the control end of the cable so You have to get a control that is compatible with that.

CABA6523.jpg

The bottom of that picture is the one that hooks up to your control. That round piece in the middle is the issue.

If it were me, I would replace all the cables and the control and see if there is a cable that uses standard ends on the control side.

Last edited:

bowtech55

Recruit
yes my old control was a side flush mount and i plan on using the same style

i currently have the omc cables like the picture you have posted

i want to replace the control and the cables

I'm just stuck on which one to get and what will work the best for me

thanks for all the help so far!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Have you dug into it to see what the issue is? Could be a simple screw fell out. Its already broke so cant make it worse. Otherwise with a flush mount any kind will do as long as it will accept the correct cables.

bowtech55

Recruit
I haven't tore into the shift controler in detail but the fact its so old makes me not care and just buy a new one

what would you guys recommend as a good shifter control? The main use for the boat is for wakeboard and tubing

or are all controllers really the same and all last the same time?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
With an OMC Cobra you want a good shifter. Anything that is worn or has a bunch of lost motion makes shifting worse.