Suzuki's new 15 EFI or 20 EFI to replace old two stroke

Durango318

Seaman
We have a 94' Evirude 9.9 with the 15hp carb on it. It has strong compression and new reeds. It starts easy, idles indefinitely and pushes 10' RIB an honest 26 mph with a Solas 9.25 X11 prop. The thing is, it's very thirsty at speed. The carb jets and float settings are correct, so it's just the way the engine is. The boat is very stable and fun at speed so we would like to extend the range and run time using the six gallon tank. We are seriously looking at the new Suzuki 15hp EFI because of the economy and lightest weight (97 lbs)in it's class. The thing is, it comes with a prop that's smaller 9.25 X 10. I thought it being a 4 stroke it would swing a bigger prop but slower. There are props available up to 12 pitch. I'm wondering with a prop change if it will go at least as fast as the old 2 stroke? I noticed the 15 & 20 hp model specs are identical except rpm (+300) and decal. I suspect it's all in the programing of the computer. Wouldn't mind getting the 20hp model but the boat is only rated to 15. Any opinions? Also, this engine is so new I haven't found any reviews yet.

Last edited:

thomas15

Seaman Apprentice
I think I could buy a lot of fuel for the cost of an new 15HP outboard.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Two stroke engines are notoriously thirsty. If your boat is rated for 15, buy the 15 not the 20. Based on my experience with a Suzy 3 cylinder carbed 30, you will be surprised at the performance and fuel economy. Six gallons should damn near run all day.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There is no way to compare props between the two motors, so don't even concern yourself with it. There is also no way to say which prop will be correct for your application, it will a little trial and error on your part to dial it in.

Durango318

Seaman
Thanks guys.
Yes, you can buy a lot of gas for the price of a four stroke, but range is my concern. Fuel docks have closed in the California delta, a combination of the economy and regulation. The one's that are still around you have to get fuel when they are open and if they have it. It would be nice to get rid of the noise too.