15 hp 4 stroke or 9.9 4 stroke

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
i have a 21 foot Fibreform with a flying bridge and 5.7 inboard. Anyone out there who can tell me I should go with a 9.9 4 stroke Yamaha (new) or a 15 hp 4 stroke 2006 Mercury. Will the 9.9 have enough power in choppy water trolling or is the 15 hp a better choice with the extra HP's

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Brand preference is another story but a 15 HP is a much better pushing option thsn a 9.9, should weight about same. You can always maximize prop to push better a heavier boat if needed.

Happy Boating

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Is the Yamaha a T9.9 (high thrust) or the standard version? And is the Merc a Bigfoot model?

The T9.9 will work better than a normal 15 to push the boat.

The Yamaha is a better motor for trolling, but if you don't troll it makes little difference, so the 15 would be better.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Personally I would put the biggest motor i could afford on it as i have never heard to many people say gee i wish i had less power. I have heard a whole lot of people say they wish they had more power

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It isn't all about HP, if you have used these motors on similar size hulls you'd know what the differences are.

I've used both many times, even on similar hulls to what the OP has. Thrust has more to do with it than HP, the Yamaha T9.9 has a much larger high thrust prop and a larger gear-case to handle the load, it's designed to push a heavy hull. Merc also makes a high thrust version, so if the Merc is a big foot it might be better, if it's a regular thrust motor a Yamaha T9.9 will be better.

When it comes to actually running the motors, the Yamaha is smoother, quieter, and easier to control the RPM's. The small Mercs have a spot just off idle where the RPM's either go higher or lower, it's very sensitive and very hard to control in that zone, people end up buying electronic throttle controls to make it easier, same goes for the Honda's. The Merc also vibrates, or shakes more at low RPM's than the Yamaha, the shaking can be very annoying at certain RPM's. The Yamaha is also quieter at these RPM's.

Yamaha Kickers out number all other brands combined around here by about 20:1, and there's a good reason for it.

The OP didn't say which models these motors are, so we are just guessing right now.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
15hp hands down. The 4 stroke will let you troll as slow as you want.... And you'll have the extra power when needed....