What size outboard motor?

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
Thanks for all the info bonz_d! I appreciate you taking the time to help. I ended up buying a motor today. I went with a 1982 Mercury 90hp "Tower of Power" that includes the wires, cables, controls, power trim unit etc for $400! I think it was a pretty good deal. I have to admit...after seeing it with the cover off...it looks scary as hell to work on! 6 cylinders, 3 carbs and spaghetti wires everywhere LOL. I hope these are good motors and reliable. :)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Congrats and good luck with you new project.

I have found there are a lot of nice boats and engines out there that can be had cheaply if one doesn't mind appearance. As long as they are safe, seaworthy they can still be a lot of fun. Kinda like rat rods only on water. I have stated many times that I don't need a $50,000 Bass boat to catch big fish. And at my age I'm certainly not out to impress and young swim suites!

I'm just about to finish up a 14.5' tin can that I intend to use while rehabbing my Alumacraft. It was just short of a wreck when I picked it up. Found a very nice running 1994 30hp to put on the back and I hope to splash it by mid week. All total I'm into it for about $850.00 and it's now probably worth twice that.

So again best of luck and post up a few photos if you get a chance.

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
Thanks bonz_d. That is awesome!! $850 for a nice fishing boat is excellent! I want to put pics up but for some reason it isnt working from my phone. I may have to use my laptop to try uploading pictures. I ended up buying another motor last night :) Now I have 2 so i'd like to use the one i bought last night for now...then switch to the big 90hp over the winter. I got a 1992 Johnson 40hp tracker motor. I started a thread about it with many installation/electrical questions if you have time to check it out. It is in the Johnson repair section. Thanks my friend!

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
No Title

Here are some pics of the boat and the 90hp i bought

Attachments

• photo226616.jpg
    photo226616.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo226617.jpg
    photo226617.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo226618.jpg
    photo226618.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
No Title

Here is a pic of the only wiring i have for it. The pic with the 2 wire plug is from the trim unit. My control lever has the little trim switch on the end of the throttle lever but i dont see any plug etc at the base of the controls where a wire could connect...just linkages for the cables. There is no ignition switch/cylinder at all for it but he did tell me it needs a push button choke style cylinder and mount the cylinder into my dashboard.

Attachments

• photo226619.jpg
    photo226619.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo226623.jpg
    photo226623.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
No Title

These are the controls. There is the trim buttons but on the back... i see no wiring to hook up to that switch.

Attachments

• photo226625.jpg
    photo226625.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo226627.jpg
    photo226627.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thai, that is a concealed control yes you will have to mount the switch on the dash or somewhere. I do not see a tilt switch either, that also could have been remote from the throttle control.

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
No Title

On the edge of the throttle grip there is the little thumb rocker button for trim. The cover just looks like it must have been lost. Here is a cropped closer pic

Attachments

• photo226640.jpg
    photo226640.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
I just back from picking up the 90hp Mercury. Now after having both setups in front of me...surprisingly to me it looks as if the 90hp install would be easier. I was going to use the 40 for now and make the 90 a winter project. The issue now is that the motor is in the back of SUV and getting it out will be a nightmare LOL. I'm guessing i need to get an engine crane to install this on the boat?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
That would be a wise decision. Might save a serious injury.

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do either of those motors work? Good thing you didn't by the 2003;if submerged,and not immediately recovered,they will become rusted junk.

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
Looks like I probably got screwed over actually. Last night was the first time I had to look at the motor since I used the crane to get it out of my SUV. I tried to turn the flywheel by hand and it won't even budge :-(.

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry to hear that and hope it's not too bad. Take the plugs out and see if it will turn. You can squirt a little oil in each hole first.

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
Thanks. Yea that's what I figured I should do before jumping to conclusions. Hopefully I'll have time tonight to look into it. Fingers crossed!

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
Ok well I got good news... I got the engine to turn over so it isn't siezed...now to try and get this monster mounted to the boat if I could find some 3m 4200 anywhere! LOL. It's looking like online order is the only way around here.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I think I got lucky on a purchase of a 95 scout boat with a 93 Johnson 3 cyl 70hp on it. The boat and motor looked like crap but I thought I could clean it up and do something with it. I had read that the motor had a reputation as a good one and the boat was all fiberglass so I went ahead and gave my old boss $1000 for it knowing he would give it back if I wanted it. With some good scrubbing the boat cleaned up real good and I think I'll be able to get the finish shinning again with some more work. Rebuilt the water pump,changed the lower unit lube,after having to use an impact wrench to get the plugs out,put some fogging oil in the cylinders and went ahead with trying to start it. Started up with not much of a problem and ran. Sounded like a carb clean was needed then could expect a good running motor. A note about carb cleaning. I put in a good amount of work on my 97 Mercury 30hp trying to get the idle down but the carb cleanings and rebuild didn't work until I soaked it in Yamaha carb cleaner...I'll be doing the same with the Johnson. I made a video on the Mercury and Johnson.

https://youtu.be/Y9UlIezKTVo

https://youtu.be/dX_gIxH1ssM

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
That's awesome! Mine came to a halt yesterday because i found out i have zero compression in my top cylinder...figures. I'm just going to stick a 40 johnson on it.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
#21.JPG Sorry to hear that...good luck!
39.JPG

Attachments

• #21.JPG
    #21.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 0
  • #21.JPG
    #21.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 39.JPG