2 cycle oil question

presta24

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a bottle of quaker state 2 cycle oil. Says its for air cooled engines. OK to use this for my water cooler merc 8.0??

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Air cooled 2 strokes run hotter than water cooled, so the oils have different additives because of the heat range. I would exchange it for TCW-3 which is made for water cooled motors or use it in your yard tools.

After saying that, you could probably get away with using it in you Merc, just not any long term use. Get the right oil for the future, the motor will like you. :smile:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Had the same inquiry about using Husqvarna 2 stroke high rpm oil mostly for motorcycles, forestal machinery uses. Will contact them to know what they have to say about using their oil on outboards. 2 Friends uses their oil on their portable 15-18 HP 2 stroke engines for months now with no issues, but both haven't throttled way passing 1/2 to 3/4 throttle while pushing their sailboats for hours. Assume going full throttle is a different story.

Happy Boating

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Why is it people cannot seem to use the products specified for the their engine -- especially when it comes to the life-blood of their engine. There are air-cooled and water-cooled engine oils for a reason. I was in the checkout line at Home Depot some years ago and the fellow in front of me was checking out with a new "Lawn Boy" mower. Lawn Boys of the day were one of the few two strokes on the market. I asked if the quart of oil he had was for the Lawn Boy. Yup was his proud response. He was shocked to learn he had a two stroke and oil needed to be mixed with fuel -- not put in a crankcase like a four-stroke and that two-stroke oil was needed for that.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Some people assume that generic 2 strokes oils are for all 2 stroke engines, don't know or care about if air or water cooled, price can be atractive too. Down here the importer of Husqvarna forestal tools also sells outboards and sells same non TCW-3 oil for both. We live on a imperfect world surrounded by imperfect sellers and boaters as well. Luckily hasn't screwed any portable engine up to now.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Oil and lubrication in 2 strokes is a complete mystery to many folks.--Has been that way for a long time !

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Why is it people cannot seem to use the products specified for the their engine -- especially when it comes to the life-blood of their engine.

It simply comes down to the fact that many people don't know, we all got into this mess by happen stance and 2 cycle oil is 2 cycle oil to most people, that is why they "can't seem to use the "oil" designed for their engine""

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It simply comes down to the fact that many people don't know, we all got into this mess by happen stance and 2 cycle oil is 2 cycle oil to most people, that is why they "can't seem to use the "oil" designed for their engine""

And because we are "guys" too darned bull headed to actually ask for help!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Come on now guys. You're thinking everybody is brain-dead jerks with such statements. And I certainly don't see it that way myself. Amazing how many folks seriously don't know they are buy the wrong oil. I mean think of it like this, why would anybody purposely buy the wrong oil if they knew there were differences? And then comes the question, if the 2 cycle oil manufacturers know they need a better additive for air cooled engines to protect for additional heat issues, why not make all their 2 cycle oils have the better additives to start with? I have never ever read or seen anybody ruin there 2 cycle engines for using the "wrong" 2 cycle oils....ever! Not saying it never happened, but I haven't hear of any myself. So give them the benefit of a doubt with folks and instead of condemning them with such aggressive statements, educate them... There is a difference... And try to understand that I am sure there are other things that you all are just as ignorant about as well, while others can claim they know specifics about. That certainly doesn't make you stupid either! JMHO!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Once my 5 Gal 2 strokes TCW-3 can runs short, will offer myself as a ginea pig, that's running at wot a 2 stroke engine for extended time period and see what happens. The price of Husqvarna's high RPM 2 stroke oil is extremely tempting, less than half of the TCW-3. Hope it's Thumbs Up. LOL!!

Happy Boating

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Come on now guys. You're thinking everybody is brain-dead jerks with such statements. And I certainly don't see it that way myself. Amazing how many folks seriously don't know they are buy the wrong oil. I mean think of it like this, why would anybody purposely buy the wrong oil if they knew there were differences? And then comes the question, if the 2 cycle oil manufacturers know they need a better additive for air cooled engines to protect for additional heat issues, why not make all their 2 cycle oils have the better additives to start with? I have never ever read or seen anybody ruin there 2 cycle engines for using the "wrong" 2 cycle oils....ever! Not saying it never happened, but I haven't hear of any myself. So give them the benefit of a doubt with folks and instead of condemning them with such aggressive statements, educate them... There is a difference... And try to understand that I am sure there are other things that you all are just as ignorant about as well, while others can claim they know specifics about. That certainly doesn't make you stupid either! JMHO!

Lots research and documentaion on this subject, and yes, people did ruin engines, that's why the two types of oils evolved into what they are now.

Will your motor self distruct instanly...no, and it didn't happen to every motor out there, only enough of them to develop a pattern, then studies into it, and then solutions.

The additives are not "better" only better suited for the different temperatures and conditions experienced by the two types of motors.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Once my 5 Gal 2 strokes TCW-3 can runs short, will offer myself as a ginea pig, that's running at wot a 2 stroke engine for extended time period and see what happens. The price of Husqvarna's high RPM 2 stroke oil is extremely tempting, less than half of the TCW-3. Hope it's Thumbs Up. LOL!!

Happy Boating

What is it going to prove? Not every motor will have issues, and depending on exactly how you use it, the exact motor, plus the exact oil, it may work fine for a very long time. All of the proof was documented decades ago, no need to go back and duplicate it with an uncontrolled test that means nothing, but could possibly cost you money.

This wasn't something made up by a marketing department, it was an actual issue that affected many outboards and others motors in the two stroke world in the 1960's and 70's.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Well, nothing to prove to no one, see too many boaters using that Husqvarna high rpm 2 strokes oil for years and with no engine issue whatsoever that I'm being tempted to try it out, but that's me and will be my own fault if something happens.

Happy Boating

gm280

Supreme Mariner
ondarvr, please don't take my comment wrong. All I am saying is people honestly have no idea of differences and therefore shouldn't be chastised for selecting the wrong type for their purpose. That's all! And IF the oil manufactures do add special additives to help with the increased heat in an air cooled engine, why make two different types? Why not use that same special oil additive in the TWC-3 oils as well. Sound fishy to me... I have used QuickSilver TWC-3 in all my 2-cycle lawn equipment over the years and still using them without issues as well... Just saying! :watermelon:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
ondarvr, please don't take my comment wrong. All I am saying is people honestly have no idea of differences and therefore shouldn't be chastised for selecting the wrong type for their purpose. That's all! And IF the oil manufactures do add special additives to help with the increased heat in an air cooled engine, why make two different types? Why not use that same special oil additive in the TWC-3 oils as well. Sound fishy to me... I have used QuickSilver TWC-3 in all my 2-cycle lawn equipment over the years and still using them without issues as well... Just saying! :watermelon:

Again, it's not "better" ingredients, the the air cooled oils work better at higher RPMs, but can leave ash deposits in lower temperature, lower RPM water cooled outboards. On the other end, when you removed the ash creating ingredients the oils don't work as well at higher RPM's and higher temps. The oils still work well in lower temp, lower RPM applications though.

That's the condensed version of why there are two different oil formulations. Nothing fishy about it.

Chains saws, motorcycles and some other two strokes run at up to 12,000 to 13,000 RPMs, lawn equipment tends to run at much lower RPM's, so while one air cooled motor could run fine on TWC3 oil the next one may not. And like I said before, it's not every motor that's affected, only enough of them to cause concern and find the reason and solution.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Where will these ashes be deposited ? in combustion chamber, piston rings and or pistons ? Will carbon spray remover remove them if frequently used ?

Happy Boating

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Similar to carbon, but I don't know if a carbon product would work.